Science: Quietly does it as mime delivers the message
Sunday 13 December 1998
A pounds 14,995 award has been given for Sounds Fantastic, a 50-minute show , a collaboration between Mr Mesure's local schools in Bromley and Chatham, Kent, Bromley's hearing-impaired unit and Music Works. Using mime, poems and recordings, it introduces vibration, pitch and frequency.
Another hearing project, Sound Sculpture, is a workshop in which children interpret sound physically. Mr Mesure says: "When I was at school there was a definite choice between sciences and arts. I was working as a geo- physicist when I realised there was a lack of people going into sciences and engineering, particularly women. I was in an amateur theatre company at the time, and we started playing around with ideas of communicating science as physical theatre."
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...