Shake all over
Monday 02 February 1998
The Place: The Barbican, London
The Essentials: Shaker furniture
Simplicity, utility, order and fine craftsmanship are the hallmarks of the distinctive Shaker furniture. In the first major exhibition of its type, you can examine 100 original pieces dating from one of the oldest and most influential American Shaker communities, Mount Lebanon, established in 1785. Many, like the side chair and storage boxes pictured, are priceless antiques but it's possible to buy reasonably priced replicas: a one drawer, small cabinet in either cherry or maple wood, pounds 599; the Elder's Chair (bottom) in maple, traditionally used by the head of the family, pounds 389 ready made, or pounds 249 self assembly; the Watervliet side table, pounds 299, in cherry or maple (below); the Hancock 5ft trestle table, pounds 1,399, in cherry or maple and a wardrobe, pounds 3,499, in cherry. All available from the Shaker Shop, 0171-7247672.
Tickets pounds 5 or pounds 3 concessions
Life & Style blogs
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- < Previous
- Next >
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...