Tip Of The Week
DRILLING FOR GIRLS
Sunday 20 September 1998
1. Electric drills are noisy, but the power involved is small; around half that of an electric iron or coffee machine, and about one-quarter of an electric kettle.
2. The worst thing that can happen when drilling into a wall is drilling through a buried gas pipe or electrical cable.Use a cable detector from a DIY store to make sure this can't happen.
3. The next worst thing that can happen is that the drill bit (the spiral- shaped cutting thing that is gripped in the chuck) catches in the wall and the drill kicks back and sprains your wrist. Minimise the chances of this happening by using a sharp drill bit, and hold the drill firmly with both hands.
4. Always use a special masonry bit for drilling into walls. Wood bits and high-speed bits are for drilling timber and metal respectively. Make sure your masonry bit is the right size for the screws and plastic plugs you are going to use. Mark the position of the holes first with a pencil.
5. Ceramic tiles can be easily drilled through with a sharp masonry bit. Use masking tape to stop the bit from skidding off sideways, and start off on a slow speed until the bit begins to bite.
Life & Style blogs
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
- 1 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 2 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 3 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 4 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 5 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This recognized leader in providing software s...
£40000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT support company has a n...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A works engineer is required in a progressive ...