Tip Of The Week
DRILLING FOR GIRLS
Sunday 20 September 1998
1. Electric drills are noisy, but the power involved is small; around half that of an electric iron or coffee machine, and about one-quarter of an electric kettle.
2. The worst thing that can happen when drilling into a wall is drilling through a buried gas pipe or electrical cable.Use a cable detector from a DIY store to make sure this can't happen.
3. The next worst thing that can happen is that the drill bit (the spiral- shaped cutting thing that is gripped in the chuck) catches in the wall and the drill kicks back and sprains your wrist. Minimise the chances of this happening by using a sharp drill bit, and hold the drill firmly with both hands.
4. Always use a special masonry bit for drilling into walls. Wood bits and high-speed bits are for drilling timber and metal respectively. Make sure your masonry bit is the right size for the screws and plastic plugs you are going to use. Mark the position of the holes first with a pencil.
5. Ceramic tiles can be easily drilled through with a sharp masonry bit. Use masking tape to stop the bit from skidding off sideways, and start off on a slow speed until the bit begins to bite.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google Doodle celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist
Tinder dating app being used more and more by middle-aged mums and dads
'Normal Barbie': Lammily, the 'realistic' doll with stretch marks, acne, and grass stains on her legs
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
- 1 Universities aren't working us hard enough, say undergraduates
- 2 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...