Tip Of The Week
DRILLING FOR GIRLS
Sunday 20 September 1998
1. Electric drills are noisy, but the power involved is small; around half that of an electric iron or coffee machine, and about one-quarter of an electric kettle.
2. The worst thing that can happen when drilling into a wall is drilling through a buried gas pipe or electrical cable.Use a cable detector from a DIY store to make sure this can't happen.
3. The next worst thing that can happen is that the drill bit (the spiral- shaped cutting thing that is gripped in the chuck) catches in the wall and the drill kicks back and sprains your wrist. Minimise the chances of this happening by using a sharp drill bit, and hold the drill firmly with both hands.
4. Always use a special masonry bit for drilling into walls. Wood bits and high-speed bits are for drilling timber and metal respectively. Make sure your masonry bit is the right size for the screws and plastic plugs you are going to use. Mark the position of the holes first with a pencil.
5. Ceramic tiles can be easily drilled through with a sharp masonry bit. Use masking tape to stop the bit from skidding off sideways, and start off on a slow speed until the bit begins to bite.
Life & Style blogs
WWE 2K15 gameplay trailer: First look at glorious next-gen graphics
iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
Autumn equinox: Google Doodle celebrates first day of autumn 2014
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...