Tip Of The Week
DRILLING FOR GIRLS
Sunday 20 September 1998
1. Electric drills are noisy, but the power involved is small; around half that of an electric iron or coffee machine, and about one-quarter of an electric kettle.
2. The worst thing that can happen when drilling into a wall is drilling through a buried gas pipe or electrical cable.Use a cable detector from a DIY store to make sure this can't happen.
3. The next worst thing that can happen is that the drill bit (the spiral- shaped cutting thing that is gripped in the chuck) catches in the wall and the drill kicks back and sprains your wrist. Minimise the chances of this happening by using a sharp drill bit, and hold the drill firmly with both hands.
4. Always use a special masonry bit for drilling into walls. Wood bits and high-speed bits are for drilling timber and metal respectively. Make sure your masonry bit is the right size for the screws and plastic plugs you are going to use. Mark the position of the holes first with a pencil.
5. Ceramic tiles can be easily drilled through with a sharp masonry bit. Use masking tape to stop the bit from skidding off sideways, and start off on a slow speed until the bit begins to bite.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Boxing Day sales: The best fashion deals
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Alex Salmond has 'broken his word to the Scottish people' says Scottish Lib Dem leader
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 3 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 4 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
- 5 Man hospitalised with pneumonia after downing eggnog at office Christmas party
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...