Tip Of The Week: Dealing With Lead Paint
Sunday 13 December 1998
1. Before you start redecorating, test surfaces with a Lead Test kit from McDougall Rose decorators' suppliers (pounds 14.99 for 20 tests) or a Lead Check kit from B&Q (pounds 2.89 for two tests). It is important to scratch through the surface of recent paint to expose older layers underneath.
2. Families with young children should never dry-sand, power-sand or burn off old lead paint - inhalation of dust and fumes is the most likely route for lead poisoning. Young children and pregnant women should be kept away when old gloss paintwork is being prepared for repainting.
3. If you want to remove lead paint from your home, use a chemical paint stripper such as Nitromors. Low-temperature hot-air guns and wet abrasives can also be used with caution, but are best left to professionals.
4. The safest option is to seal old painted surfaces by over-painting, but these surfaces should then be labelled to warn
future occupiers of the presence of lead paint below the surface.
5. In older homes, house dust can also consist of a high proportion of lead from degrading paint surfaces. The dust should be regularly removed from the house by thorough vacuum cleaning and wet scrubbing.
6. For advice leaflets on removing lead paint send an SAE to the British Coatings Federation, James House, Bridge Street, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 7EP.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
£700 - £800 per day: Harrington Starr: Technical Programme Manager, (Static Da...
£42000 - £46500 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Big 4 Opportunity...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: MI Reporting Developer Oracle, SQL, PL...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Java Developer...