Tip Of The Week: Dealing With Lead Paint
Sunday 13 December 1998
1. Before you start redecorating, test surfaces with a Lead Test kit from McDougall Rose decorators' suppliers (pounds 14.99 for 20 tests) or a Lead Check kit from B&Q (pounds 2.89 for two tests). It is important to scratch through the surface of recent paint to expose older layers underneath.
2. Families with young children should never dry-sand, power-sand or burn off old lead paint - inhalation of dust and fumes is the most likely route for lead poisoning. Young children and pregnant women should be kept away when old gloss paintwork is being prepared for repainting.
3. If you want to remove lead paint from your home, use a chemical paint stripper such as Nitromors. Low-temperature hot-air guns and wet abrasives can also be used with caution, but are best left to professionals.
4. The safest option is to seal old painted surfaces by over-painting, but these surfaces should then be labelled to warn
future occupiers of the presence of lead paint below the surface.
5. In older homes, house dust can also consist of a high proportion of lead from degrading paint surfaces. The dust should be regularly removed from the house by thorough vacuum cleaning and wet scrubbing.
6. For advice leaflets on removing lead paint send an SAE to the British Coatings Federation, James House, Bridge Street, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 7EP.
Life & Style blogs
KickAssTorrents down: biggest file-sharing site moves to .cr domain after takedowns
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
Watch teenager Collin Burns break the Rubik's Cube world record by solving puzzle in just 5.25 seconds
'Are you beach body ready?' backlash: Protein World boss labels feminist campaigners 'terrorists'
The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
- 1 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 2 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 5 Stephen Hawking endorses Labour in the General Election
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Photographer/ Floor planner /...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Front-End Developer - Guildford/Craw...
£13500 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Customer Service Assistant is...
£16000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An ambitious and motivated Sale...