Tip of the week: Door security hinges or bolts
Sunday 08 November 1998
1. If you can open the door wide enough to drill into the edge and into the frame, then bolts can be fitted without taking the door off. If your door can't be opened really wide, it is easier to exchange the hinges.
2. Security hinges and door hinge bolts differ slightly. Security hinges have one leaf with a couple of extra holes (in addition to the screw holes). The other leaf has metal folds, which close into the holes in the opposite side of the hinge. Door hinge bolts work on the same principle: a metal bolt fits into the door and a metal plate with a hole for the bolt fits into the door frame.
3. When you buy door hinge bolts, check that you have drill bits of the correct size. Use a pencil to mark out the bolts' position. Ask a friend to steady the door as you drill out the holes for the bolts. Do the same for the frame, then pencil round the metal plate and gently tap out the wood with a hammer and sharp wood chisel - the knack here is to work a little at a time and always keep your fingers behind the blade! Then screw on the plates and hammer in the bolts.
5. To fit security hinges, ask a friend to steady the door then take off just one hinge at a time. The screws might be stiff to undo - if so, try twisting them the wrong way to screw in rather than unscrew. This will help free them up without damaging the unscrewing side. As soon as the screws move, start unscrewing. Position the new hinge and use a sharp chisel to alter the fit and make recesses for the metal folds if needed. Screw on the hinge. Take care to hold the door firmly in position.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
British Breakfast Awards 2015: London restaurant wins prize for inventive take on the Full English
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£96000 - £200000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Looking for a better earning p...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly expanding company in ...