Tip of the week: Door security hinges or bolts
Sunday 08 November 1998
1. If you can open the door wide enough to drill into the edge and into the frame, then bolts can be fitted without taking the door off. If your door can't be opened really wide, it is easier to exchange the hinges.
2. Security hinges and door hinge bolts differ slightly. Security hinges have one leaf with a couple of extra holes (in addition to the screw holes). The other leaf has metal folds, which close into the holes in the opposite side of the hinge. Door hinge bolts work on the same principle: a metal bolt fits into the door and a metal plate with a hole for the bolt fits into the door frame.
3. When you buy door hinge bolts, check that you have drill bits of the correct size. Use a pencil to mark out the bolts' position. Ask a friend to steady the door as you drill out the holes for the bolts. Do the same for the frame, then pencil round the metal plate and gently tap out the wood with a hammer and sharp wood chisel - the knack here is to work a little at a time and always keep your fingers behind the blade! Then screw on the plates and hammer in the bolts.
5. To fit security hinges, ask a friend to steady the door then take off just one hinge at a time. The screws might be stiff to undo - if so, try twisting them the wrong way to screw in rather than unscrew. This will help free them up without damaging the unscrewing side. As soon as the screws move, start unscrewing. Position the new hinge and use a sharp chisel to alter the fit and make recesses for the metal folds if needed. Screw on the hinge. Take care to hold the door firmly in position.
Sales of the tablet are set to fall again, say analysts
Met Police confirm there was a 'minor disturbance' and that no-one was arrested
George Lucas criticises the major Hollywood film studios
Does Chris Grayling realise what a vague concept he is dealing with?
Trend which requires crisps, a fork and a strong stomach is sweeping Mexico's streets
Parties threaten resort's image as a family destination
I Am Bread could actually be a challenging and nuanced title
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 'catches on fire and burns man's leg after bending in pocket'
Soylent: Could a slug of nutritionally engineered sludge ever replace the leisurely meal?
Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
What lies beneath La Perla's 60 years of luxury lingerie?
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming that the street artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 5 Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
£80 - £140 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Year 5 Teacher KS2 teaching job...
£35000 - £45000 Per Annum Pensions Scheme After 6 Months: Clearwater People So...
£35000 - £37000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Analyst / Busines...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Senior Change ...