TIP OF THE WEEK: LOOKING AFTER YOUR GUTTERING
Sunday 18 October 1998
1. Fallen autumn leaves must be physically removed from gutters. On anything higher than a bungalow this requires a ladder and a head for heights. Don't take risks. Unless you know what you're doing, pay someone else to do it for you.
2. Various types of mesh guard can be fitted to keep leaves out of gutters, but unless you are surrounded by trees, they are probably more trouble than they are worth. A simple piece of chicken wire stuffed in the top of the running outlet will stop leaves from entering the down pipe.
3. Plastic guttering can start leaking after only a few years. Make sure it has enough support brackets to prevent sagging, and that it is fixed at a sufficient slope for the water to drain away. If pigeons are using your gutter as a bird bath then you've got a problem.
4. Watch out for leaks from the joints of plastic guttering. It means that the rubber gaskets are worn and need replacing.
5. Cast iron guttering is much better than plastic. It needs painting every 20 years or so, and the joints should be re-sealed using a mix of putty and oil-based paint.
6. Whenever overhauling guttering, always check the condition of the tim-ber fascia board on which it is mounted, and repaint if necessary.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
As Kellie Maloney has experienced, when you're transgender, strangers think it's OK to ask intimate questions – it's not
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst- (Desktop Su...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: UNIX Application Support Analyst-...