TIP OF THE WEEK: LOOKING AFTER YOUR GUTTERING
Sunday 18 October 1998
1. Fallen autumn leaves must be physically removed from gutters. On anything higher than a bungalow this requires a ladder and a head for heights. Don't take risks. Unless you know what you're doing, pay someone else to do it for you.
2. Various types of mesh guard can be fitted to keep leaves out of gutters, but unless you are surrounded by trees, they are probably more trouble than they are worth. A simple piece of chicken wire stuffed in the top of the running outlet will stop leaves from entering the down pipe.
3. Plastic guttering can start leaking after only a few years. Make sure it has enough support brackets to prevent sagging, and that it is fixed at a sufficient slope for the water to drain away. If pigeons are using your gutter as a bird bath then you've got a problem.
4. Watch out for leaks from the joints of plastic guttering. It means that the rubber gaskets are worn and need replacing.
5. Cast iron guttering is much better than plastic. It needs painting every 20 years or so, and the joints should be re-sealed using a mix of putty and oil-based paint.
6. Whenever overhauling guttering, always check the condition of the tim-ber fascia board on which it is mounted, and repaint if necessary.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
elephant appealPrince William signs up for our charity appeal
elephant appealSo says man jailed for cutting off dead elephant's tusks
voicesPeople moan that Christmas is too commercial, the spirit lost. But it is a time to over-indulge, and always has been, says DJ Taylor
booksWe examine the best titles for teens
scienceResearchers teach border collie to understand sentences using more than 1,000 words
booksA Christmas story in six parts
travelWill high-value tourism help the workshops of this Renaissance city?
food + drinkA trifle without custard? Surely not! Nonsense – and here’s three to finish your festive meal that prove it
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Life & Style blogs
Drunken assaults, drug abuse, spiked drinks – and a young couple in a pine tree: Not a very merry Christmas for the paramedics
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
GTA 5: Rockstar bans gamers stealing in-game money worth millions
Winter Solstice 2013: Shortest day of the year marked with 'knitted' Google Doodle
Tom Daley ‘is gay because his father died’ says UK evangelist
Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
David Cameron takes his biggest gamble yet as he gets tough on Europe over immigration
Kiss and yell: Italian protester charged with sexual assault after kissing riot police officer
Top PR exec Justine Sacco under fire for sending racist tweet before flying to Africa
Anachronistic and iniquitous, grammar schools are a blot on the British education system
- 1 Top PR exec Justine Sacco under fire for sending racist tweet before flying to Africa
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 The publisher who played with fire: the battle for control of Larsson's £30m legacy
- 5 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
£32999 - £42001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Are you a newly q...
£90000 per annum + benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Manager - Financial Servic...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: My client, a Top ...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Key Stage 1 Leader- Gi...