TIP OF THE WEEK: LOOKING AFTER YOUR GUTTERING
Sunday 18 October 1998
1. Fallen autumn leaves must be physically removed from gutters. On anything higher than a bungalow this requires a ladder and a head for heights. Don't take risks. Unless you know what you're doing, pay someone else to do it for you.
2. Various types of mesh guard can be fitted to keep leaves out of gutters, but unless you are surrounded by trees, they are probably more trouble than they are worth. A simple piece of chicken wire stuffed in the top of the running outlet will stop leaves from entering the down pipe.
3. Plastic guttering can start leaking after only a few years. Make sure it has enough support brackets to prevent sagging, and that it is fixed at a sufficient slope for the water to drain away. If pigeons are using your gutter as a bird bath then you've got a problem.
4. Watch out for leaks from the joints of plastic guttering. It means that the rubber gaskets are worn and need replacing.
5. Cast iron guttering is much better than plastic. It needs painting every 20 years or so, and the joints should be re-sealed using a mix of putty and oil-based paint.
6. Whenever overhauling guttering, always check the condition of the tim-ber fascia board on which it is mounted, and repaint if necessary.
Life & Style blogs
NHS struggling to monitor the safety and efficacy of its services outsourced to private providers
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...