TIP OF THE WEEK: LOOKING AFTER YOUR GUTTERING
1. Fallen autumn leaves must be physically removed from gutters. On anything higher than a bungalow this requires a ladder and a head for heights. Don't take risks. Unless you know what you're doing, pay someone else to do it for you.
2. Various types of mesh guard can be fitted to keep leaves out of gutters, but unless you are surrounded by trees, they are probably more trouble than they are worth. A simple piece of chicken wire stuffed in the top of the running outlet will stop leaves from entering the down pipe.
3. Plastic guttering can start leaking after only a few years. Make sure it has enough support brackets to prevent sagging, and that it is fixed at a sufficient slope for the water to drain away. If pigeons are using your gutter as a bird bath then you've got a problem.
4. Watch out for leaks from the joints of plastic guttering. It means that the rubber gaskets are worn and need replacing.
5. Cast iron guttering is much better than plastic. It needs painting every 20 years or so, and the joints should be re-sealed using a mix of putty and oil-based paint.
6. Whenever overhauling guttering, always check the condition of the tim-ber fascia board on which it is mounted, and repaint if necessary.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
The 10 Best sports sunglasses
Apps: A poke in the eye for social-network friends
Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
Bollywood star, Shahrukh Khan, accused of choosing sex of baby
NHS watchdog covered-up scandal at University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust where eight babies died of neglect
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...