TIPOF THE WEEK: SPRUCE UP THE BATHROOM OR KITCHEN FOR A FEW QUID
Sunday 01 November 1998
1. Make sure you have everything to hand before you start. You will need plenty of masking tape, a sharp knife, kitchen roll or dry cloth, a cartridge gun, a cartridge of kitchen- or bathroom-grade silicone sealant and possibly a cartridge of silicone sealant remover.
2. Use the knife to cut and scrape away the old seal. Work gently, a bit at a time, and keep your fingers behind the blade - this way if you slip you won't cut them. If you prefer you can buy a chemical silicone sealant remover to do the job.
3. Use a dry cloth to clean the joint. The new silicone needs dry surfaces to stick to. Thoroughly clean the worktop/ bath and wall tiles with a dry cloth or kitchen roll; don't use kitchen or bathroom cleaner as some could get left behind and mess up your work.
4. Use the masking tape to protect the areas around the seal. Take time to get this right - the look of your finished joint depends on it. The areas you leave showing will be the areas the silicone will stick to.
5. Using the knife, cut the cartridge nozzle to the right size. At an angle of 45 degrees, cut the tip of the cartridge to open it and screw the nozzle on. Use the cartridge gun to squeeze out the silicone until it reaches the end of the nozzle. Wipe that off. Run a bead of silicone into the joint, sqeezing the gun and pushing the nozzle slowly along the joint. Once you've put it all in, lift the masking tape gently away.
Emergency call 'started off dumb, but got pretty serious'
Argentinian scored 'rabona' wonder goal for Tottenham in Europa League – see it here
Life & Style blogs
Ebola outbreak: Virus to kill 67,000 in Monrovia by December, claims academic study
Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
Dear young men: The old stereotypes of what it is to be a 'man' are a load of rubbish
Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
What do the text messages between you and your partner reveal about your relationship?
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
£24 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Randstad are currently l...
£24000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Randstad are looking ...
Competitive Rates of Pay: Randstad Education Group: Our client school in Chath...
Main Teacher Pay Scale : Randstad Education Leeds: Teacher of Humanities (Hist...