TIPOF THE WEEK: SPRUCE UP THE BATHROOM OR KITCHEN FOR A FEW QUID
Sunday 01 November 1998
1. Make sure you have everything to hand before you start. You will need plenty of masking tape, a sharp knife, kitchen roll or dry cloth, a cartridge gun, a cartridge of kitchen- or bathroom-grade silicone sealant and possibly a cartridge of silicone sealant remover.
2. Use the knife to cut and scrape away the old seal. Work gently, a bit at a time, and keep your fingers behind the blade - this way if you slip you won't cut them. If you prefer you can buy a chemical silicone sealant remover to do the job.
3. Use a dry cloth to clean the joint. The new silicone needs dry surfaces to stick to. Thoroughly clean the worktop/ bath and wall tiles with a dry cloth or kitchen roll; don't use kitchen or bathroom cleaner as some could get left behind and mess up your work.
4. Use the masking tape to protect the areas around the seal. Take time to get this right - the look of your finished joint depends on it. The areas you leave showing will be the areas the silicone will stick to.
5. Using the knife, cut the cartridge nozzle to the right size. At an angle of 45 degrees, cut the tip of the cartridge to open it and screw the nozzle on. Use the cartridge gun to squeeze out the silicone until it reaches the end of the nozzle. Wipe that off. Run a bead of silicone into the joint, sqeezing the gun and pushing the nozzle slowly along the joint. Once you've put it all in, lift the masking tape gently away.
Life & Style blogs
The Swedes are adding a gender-neutral pronoun to their dictionary
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
PTSD photo series documents what the disorder is really like – as study reveals suicides of 22 US veterans every day
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
Eating quinoa and whole grains every day could help you live longer
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz wanted to 'do something people would remember him for'
- 2 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 3 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 4 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped commission: SThree: Does earning a 6 figu...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A challenging opportunity for a...