Today's pick: Innocents Lost
Monday 08 December 1997
I'm Alan Partridge (10pm BBC2) The Norwich-based TV personality's six- part swansong has been a delight, the best British comedy series of 1997 by a distance. In fact, I much preferred this to Knowing Me, Knowing You. Steve Coogan leaves his alter-ego 180 days into his exile at the Linton Travel Tavern, and judging vegetables at a local country fayre. Then comes an unexpected phone call from the BBC...
The Sunshine Boys (12mdn't BBC1) Eighty-year-old George Burns came out of retirement when Jack Benny died - to play opposite Walter Matthau as feuding vaudevillians persuaded to team up one last time for a TV special. A Neil Simon Broadway hit directed by Simon specialist Herbert Ross, there aren't too many feet to be put wrong here. Perhaps some over- acting from the 56-year-old Matthau adding 20 years to his age, but it's a quibble. Burns is a delight and won an Oscar.
Life & Style blogs
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...