Top architects tell all: Richard Witcher
Wednesday 18 June 2008
Richard co-founded the practice Whitcher Crawford in June 2004.
What should I avoid when buying?
Something that is too quirky. We all like character, but quirky house layouts often mean that something more spatially functional could not be achieved.
What's popular at the moment?
The family hub - an open plan kitchen, dining and living space that allows families to entertain, monitor children from the kitchen and be together while carrying out different activities. Clients are also asking more questions about eco-friendly solutions, such as for heating or rain water harvesting.
Richard Witcher's golden rules:
*Don't be in a rush.
*Make sure your requirements match your budget and realise that good design will produce great results.
Life & Style blogs
Guest post by Richard Sexton, business development director of e.surv chartered surveyors
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.