Top ten Specialist Mail Order
Friday 22 August 1997
2. Oxendales specialise in making clothes for people 5ft 2ins and under. They concentrate on producing high-quality and high-fashion merchandise available in varying lengths. Inquiries: 0800 262 717 (quoting OXO 2490).
3. Designers Direct are a mail-order company on the Internet. They specialise in US designers like Polo Ralph Lauren, CK Jeans, Tommy Hilfiger. Prices are considerably cheaper, CK jeans are $46, plus shipping of $16. The ranges are very basic jeans lines but definitely worth a surf. Inquiries: www.directdesigners.com
4. Blooming Marvellous is a small catalogue that was founded by two mothers who felt there was a poor selection of maternity and nursery products on the market. Their aim was to offer a broad range of goods, along with sufficient product knowledge. They have created a much-needed informative catalogue. Inquiries: 0181-391 0338.
5. Exotica Knickers from Brazil. If your knickers have to come from Brazil, this is the company for you. They produce a four-page brochure with multi-coloured lacies. Prices from pounds 14.95. Inquiries: 0171- 835 0669.
6. Birkenstock, the makers of funny slip-on sandals and shoes that converts cannot live without, now produce a little catalogue so that people in the Outer Hebrides can wear Birkies too. Inquiries: 0800 132 194.
7. Loud and Clear are a crazy company which first caught my eye by stuffing hundreds of pastel-coloured teddy-bears into an inflatable cushion. If this sounds like your idea of the perfect gift, you'll love the vacuum- packed double-ended lollies. Inquiries: 0171-247 4232.
8. Beauty Quest is a new mail-order magazine. It is edited by some of the best hair and make-up artists around, so the selection of products is certain to be top notch. You can buy Aveda hair care, Ruby Hammer professional make-up brushes and other beauty basics. Inquiries: 0541-505 000.
9. Johnnie Loves Rosie are still a favourite even though autumn/ winter trends do not look as if they will accommodate the much-loved Rose hair- slides. New oriental hair-sticks are bound to take their place on the best-dressed heads in town. Inquiries 0171-247 1496.
10. Peruvian Connection are an upmarket American mail-order company which offers the best quality alpaca knitwear for men and women. Each piece is hand-crafted in the Andes. Also included in the range are jewellery, scarves and hats. Inquiries: 0800 550 000
Life & Style blogs
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
30,000 reasons why the rhetoric on immigrants claiming benefits can stop now
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...