Top US web properties: online shoppers score discounts with coupon sites
Monday 27 December 2010
During the busy holiday shopping season, consumers raced online to find shopping deals and discounts from retailers and coupon websites.
The offer of free shipping and attractive discounts was all the enticement shoppers needed to spend their dollars on the web this year.
"As the holiday shopping season kicked-off in November, Americans were quick to take advantage of retailers' early promotions and savings in crossing a few items off their shopping list," said Jeff Hackett, executive vice president of comScore Media Metrix.
"Cyber Monday - the Monday after Thanksgiving - came in as the heaviest online spending day on record in the U.S. which contributed a strong portion of traffic growth at retail and coupon sites."
Coupon sites saw the biggest increase in traffic during November said market researcher comScore in their report on the top online properties for November 2010, released on December 21.
A record 44 million people in the US visited a coupon site during month, up 40 percent since October.
Groupon grabbed the top ranking across all coupon sites during the month with 10 million unique visitors (up 54 percent from October) while CouponCabin.com and Coupons, Inc. took second and third places with 8.8 million visitors and 6.4 million visitors respectively.
Amazon Sites were the top ranking retail sites in November with 83.9 million unique visitors followed by Wal-Mart (51.8 million visitors), Apple.com Worldwide Sites (40.3 million visitors) and Target Corporation (39.8 million visitors).
In November Yahoo! Sites were the number one property in the US with 181 million visitors closely followed by Google and Microsoft Sites with 178.7 million and 175.7 million visitors for the month respectively.
Some of the biggest movers during the month included Target, which jumped up by 13 positions to number 27; Wal-Mart, up 10 places to number 20; and BestBuy.com Sites, leaping into the top 50 ranking in 41st place with a 75 percent increase in visitors.
ComScore's Top 10 Properties in the US for the month of November 2010:
- Yahoo! Sites - 180,987,000 unique visitors
- Google Sites - 178,726,000 unique visitors
- Microsoft Sites - 175,732,000 unique visitors
- FACEBOOK.COM - 151,722,000 unique visitors
- AOL, Inc. - 114,484,000 unique visitors
- Ask Network - 92,369,000 unique visitors
- Glam Media - 89,864,000 unique visitors
- CBS Interactive - 88,017,000 unique visitors
- Turner Digital - 86,452,000 unique visitors
- Amazon Sites - 83,875,000 unique visitors
Culinary experts in The Netherlands thought it was 'fresh' and 'tasty'
Of all the computers Apple has ever made there’s only one that Steve Jobs had to sell his car to finance
Life & Style blogs
Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
A cup of tea is every worker's right
Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
Fake goats’ cheese found in supermarkets
Handy hacks that make life easier: New book reveals how to rid your inbox of spam, protect your passwords and amplify your iPhone
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our large organisa...
£100 - £105 per day + plus free travel scheme: Randstad Education Cardiff: The...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (CIM, B2B, Adobe, ...
£20000 - £22000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Systems Tester - Functional/Non-Func...