Top US web properties: online shoppers score discounts with coupon sites
Monday 27 December 2010
During the busy holiday shopping season, consumers raced online to find shopping deals and discounts from retailers and coupon websites.
The offer of free shipping and attractive discounts was all the enticement shoppers needed to spend their dollars on the web this year.
"As the holiday shopping season kicked-off in November, Americans were quick to take advantage of retailers' early promotions and savings in crossing a few items off their shopping list," said Jeff Hackett, executive vice president of comScore Media Metrix.
"Cyber Monday - the Monday after Thanksgiving - came in as the heaviest online spending day on record in the U.S. which contributed a strong portion of traffic growth at retail and coupon sites."
Coupon sites saw the biggest increase in traffic during November said market researcher comScore in their report on the top online properties for November 2010, released on December 21.
A record 44 million people in the US visited a coupon site during month, up 40 percent since October.
Groupon grabbed the top ranking across all coupon sites during the month with 10 million unique visitors (up 54 percent from October) while CouponCabin.com and Coupons, Inc. took second and third places with 8.8 million visitors and 6.4 million visitors respectively.
Amazon Sites were the top ranking retail sites in November with 83.9 million unique visitors followed by Wal-Mart (51.8 million visitors), Apple.com Worldwide Sites (40.3 million visitors) and Target Corporation (39.8 million visitors).
In November Yahoo! Sites were the number one property in the US with 181 million visitors closely followed by Google and Microsoft Sites with 178.7 million and 175.7 million visitors for the month respectively.
Some of the biggest movers during the month included Target, which jumped up by 13 positions to number 27; Wal-Mart, up 10 places to number 20; and BestBuy.com Sites, leaping into the top 50 ranking in 41st place with a 75 percent increase in visitors.
ComScore's Top 10 Properties in the US for the month of November 2010:
- Yahoo! Sites - 180,987,000 unique visitors
- Google Sites - 178,726,000 unique visitors
- Microsoft Sites - 175,732,000 unique visitors
- FACEBOOK.COM - 151,722,000 unique visitors
- AOL, Inc. - 114,484,000 unique visitors
- Ask Network - 92,369,000 unique visitors
- Glam Media - 89,864,000 unique visitors
- CBS Interactive - 88,017,000 unique visitors
- Turner Digital - 86,452,000 unique visitors
- Amazon Sites - 83,875,000 unique visitors
Life & Style blogs
Men in crop tops seem to be trending thanks to Kid Cudi, the social media and the catwalk
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Charter Selection: This highly successful organisat...
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: LONDON - BANKING / PROPERTY FINANCE - ...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - NICHE DEFENDANT FIRM - Defendant Pe...
£600 - £800 per day: Harrington Starr: Java/Calypso Developer Java, Calypso, ...