Sunday 24 May 1998
Fallen Angels (15). One of the great stylists of modern cinema, Hong Kong director Wong Kar-Wai is, more than anything else, a fearless romantic. His recent Buenos Aires reverie, Happy Together, one of the great films of the decade, is his most directly moving rendition of l'amour fou. But, even when skirting the edges of genre filmmaking, Wong's work evinces a singularly delirious soulfulness. This 1995 film, a sequel of sorts to the similarly neon-saturated Chungking Express, flits between two stories. The first involves a dour hitman (Leon Lai Ming), the second a charmingly unhinged, mute ex-con (Takeshi Kaneshiro). Shapeless as it is, the film simmers with a seductive, restless energy. As ever, Wong's visual pyrotechnics are underpinned by a profound sense of melancholy; no other filmmaker expresses millennial excitement and anxiety with such startling flair and eloquence.
Life & Style blogs
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£96000 - £200000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Looking for a better earning p...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly expanding company in ...