Wednesday 19 November 1997
It is curious how a small amount of rain can make you feel so wet. It has hardly stopped raining in Devon and Cornwall since the weekend and, in the far west of the region, more than 60mm of rain fell in 24 hours. That's about the average for the entire month at Kew.
Yet when you think about it, 60mm does not sound all that much: it's less than 21/2 inches - hardly a cupful. The average rate of rainfall, however, is only about 1mm an hour - which is about an inch a day if it doesn't stop raining at all. You really do need a downpour to produce 60mm. And that leads to a very surprising conclusion: We all know, from chilly experience, that 30 seconds in a downpour is enough to feel utterly soaked. Yet even if those 60mm in Cornwall all fell in one hour, that would imply a rate of 1mm a minute, which means that half a millimetre of rain is enough to soak you to the skin.
We shall all have a good chance to test this theory in the next few days. If the forecasters are right, there will be few places without rain for the rest of this week.
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£23999 - £32001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: An independent ac...