Saturday 25 May 1996
Pinch out the tops of broad beans when they have set sufficient pods . This makes them marginally less attractive to blackfly. Pinch out flower buds from chives to increase leaf production. Later on, you can give them their heads.
Prune spring flowering shrubs such as flowering currants and spiraea when they have finished flowering.
Flowering currants can be dealt with on the one in three principle. Take out a third of the old wood at ground level, so that within three years you have renewed the whole bush. Flowering is better on young vigorous growth than on old. Spiraeas can be thinned out in a similar manner, though they can be left unpruned more easily than flowering currants.
Life & Style blogs
Wii U to beat Xbox One and PS4 at Christmas says Play.com,
Britain's poor 'will die before they retire' if pension reforms aren't matched by health improvements
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Ron Wayne: The Apple founder who missed out on a fortune
eBay XBox One scam: Dad pays £450 for a picture of the console
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...