We invite you to celebrate the centenary of this delicious decade by injecting a frisson of excitement into your life with a wicked weekend away accompanied, naturally, by the partner of your choice.
And to make this forbidden fruit all the sweeter, it could cost you absolutely nothing - at least not financially.
We have sumptuously self-indulgent breaks for two to be won at 12 luxury hotels around Britain. Every day until Saturday we will give you details of two hotels which are offering our prize weekend breaks. These will comprise of a two night stay inclusive of breakfast and dinner.To enter the prize draw simply ring the special phone number given to the hotel of your choice up till midnight on the day of publication. Please leave your name, address and daytime phone number and your details will be entered into the appropriate prize draw. You may enter for as many prize draws as you wish.
Each prize draw phoneline offers two runners-up prizes of magnums of Perrier-Jouet champagne, the wine that fuelled the Naughty Nineties and the perfect toast to any irresponsible escapade. As well as this, two further runners-up will receive presentation sets of the authoritative Johansens Guides to hotels, country houses and inns, normally selling for pounds 37.
We have also arranged discount deals offering three nights for the price of two at the same hotels plus some 70 further establishments.
Today's wicked weekend hideaways are the Ashdown Park in East Sussex and the Quorn Country Hotel in Leicestershire.
If you want to impress your partner on a grand scale, Asdown Park at Wych Cross is the place to stay. This imposing 19th-Century mansion dominates some 200 acres of gardens, parks and forests and boasts that the service is discreet and the surroundings soigne. The hotel reeks of unashamed privilege and makes an ideal setting for a little harmless wickedness.
The hotel is offering a discount deal of three nights for the price of two at the special rate of pounds 230 for a twin or double room including breakfast. Dinner on average is pounds 27 per person (tel: 01342 824988, IND 06).
Somewhat smaller but equally opulent is the 17th-century Quorn Country Hotel at Quorn in Leicestershire. An entire rainforest seems to have been sacrificed to provide the majestic mahogany staircase that sweeps down to the entrance hall. The rooms are grand, the food faultless and the service, as you would expect, discreet.
The hotel is offering a discount deal of three nights for the price of two at the special rate of pounds 220 for a twin or double room including breakfast. Dinner on average is pounds 20 per person (tel: 01509 415050, IND 03).
To enter your name in the Ashdown Park prize draw, call 0891 111 690. For the Quorn Country prize, ring 0891 111 691. Calls cost 39p per minute cheap rate, 49p per minute at all other times and should last no longer than three minutes. Winners will be selected at random after lines close at midnight tonight.
All the hotels featured in our Wicked Weekends promotion feature in the Johansens guides, which have been published and updated annually for the past 14 years. For a 20-page information brochure on Johansens Guides, call FREE on 0800 269397.
1. To enter our Wicked Weekends draws simply call the relevant telephone number for the hotel you wish to stay at, on the day that hotel is featured in paper, and follow the on line instructions. Winners will be selected at random by computer. Calls will be charged at 39p per minute cheap rate, 49p per minute all other times, your call should last no longer than 3 minutes.
2. The lines for each specific hotel will close at midnight on the day that the particular hotel is featured.
3. Winners will receive a 2 night stay on the date of their choice at the relevant hotel to that telephone line. All stays must be taken before 31 October 1995 and are subject to availability.
3 NIGHTS FOR THE PRICE OF 2 OFFER.
4. To take advantage of the 3 for 2 offers please quote the applicable reference number, printed in paper each day, when booking.
5. This offer is valid until 31 October 1995, subject to availability and not available on bank holidays. The offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other special offer, and readers should be aware that participating establishments may have limited availability under the terms of this offer.
6. Should readers wish to take up the 3 for 2 offer with any of the 12 hotels participating in the free weekend prize draws, the offer is available but stays must include a Sunday night, and dinner must be taken on at least one evening at the establishment.
7. For a full listing of all hotels participating in the 3 for 2 offer and their relevant reference numbers send a SAE to: The Independent Hotel Offer, PO Box 88, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, AL7 1TX,
8. The Independent is not associated with any of the establishments featured in this promotion. Neither The Independent nor Johansens can be held responsible for any errors in the prices, or other conditions imposed by individual hoteliers.
9. Employees and agents of Newspaper Publishing plc or those of any other national newspaper company or of any other newspaper company associated with Newspaper Publishing plc or any firm connected with the draw are not eligible to take part, neither are their relatives or members of their families or households. Entrants must be aged 18 or over.
10. Winners must co-operate for publicity purposes if required and accept his/her name will be published in paper.
11. Enter as often as you like, but each entry must be made on a separate call.
12. The Editor reserves the right to cancel the competition at any stage or change the rules. The Editor's decision is final, no correspondence will be entered into.
13. The competition can be played in the UK only and the prizes will be as stated, with no cash alternative.
To take advantage of the three nights for the price of two deal being offered by the hotels featured today, simply call the hotel of your choice and quote reference number IND 04. For the hotels listed right, you may take a two-person break for any three consecutive nights at the prices indicated. For paid-for breaks at the Ashdown Park or Quorn County your three-night stay MUST include a Sunday night and you MUST have dinner there on at least one night. These conditions do not apply to any other hotels featured on this page.
THREE NIGHTS FOR PRICE OF TWO
All accommodation tariffs are for two people sharing a double or twin room.
Normal Special Dinner
42 The Calls, pounds 450 pounds 300 pounds 13-
Leeds, West Yorkshire pounds 480 pounds 320 pounds 17
TEL: 0113 2440099
The Balmoral Hotel, pounds 297 pounds 198 pounds 18
Franklin Mount, Harrogate.
TEL: 01423 508208
Boars Head Hotel, pounds 270- pounds 180- pounds 25
Harrogate, North Yorkshire. pounds 315 pounds 210
TEL: 01423 771888
Charnwood Hotel, pounds 180 pounds 120 pounds 12
TEL: 0114 2589411
Chevin Lodge Hotel, pounds 276 pounds 184 pounds 16.75
Otley, West Yorkshire.
TEL: 01943 467818
Devonshire Arms Country pounds 390 pounds 260 pounds 30
House Hotel, Skipton, North Yorkshire.
TEL: 01756 710441
The Green Man, pounds 330 pounds 220 pounds 17.50
Malton, North Yorkshire.
TEL: 01653 600370
Hackness Grange Hotel, pounds 405 pounds 270 pounds 20
Hackness, North Yorkshire.
TEL: 01723 882345
Haley's Hotel & Restaurant, pounds 336 pounds 224 pounds 18.50
Headingley, Leeds, West Yorkshire.
TEL: 0113 2784446
Holdsworth House Hotel, pounds 255 pounds 170 pounds 20
Halifax, West Yorkshire.
TEL: 01422 240024
Linthwaite House, pounds 345 pounds 230 pounds 27
TEL: 015394 88600
Redworth Hall Hotel & pounds 312 pounds 208 pounds 16.95
Country Club, Redworth, Co Durham.
TEL: 01388 772442
Rookery Hall, pounds 450 pounds 300 pounds 28.50
Nr Nantwich, Cheshire.
TEL: 01270 610016
Temple Sowerby, pounds 210 pounds 140 pounds 22
TEL: 017683 61578
Tufton Arms Hotel, pounds 240 pounds 160 pounds 17.50
TEL: 017683 51593