yesterday was a ...
Thursday 14 August 1997
Bad Day for mobile phones, as a stress psychologist blamed them for killing off the idea of a relaxing, get-away-from-it-all holiday. Professor Cary Cooper of Manchester University said: "Being contacted on a mobile phone can be doubly stressful if you are unable to resolve the problem - it's not just a momentary disturbance but you go on worrying about it and the stress builds up." He described the spread of mobile phones as "very bad news".
Disastrous Day for cheating, as a soldier in Cambodia shot a teacher monitoring school exams. He had mistaken the man for another teacher who had intercepted a crib sheet which the soldier wanted passed to a student in the classroom. The Secretary of State in the Information Ministry had earlier said of the cheating: "I think things are better than last year".
Life & Style blogs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Question Time's 'passionate highlander' is the William Wallace of the Better Together campaign
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client, a FTSE 100 organisation are u...
£300 - £350 per day + competitive: Orgtel: My client, a leading bank, is curre...
£33000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly successfu...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly ...