Yesterday was a ...
Friday 21 February 1997
Bad Day for breast implants, as eight transvestites in Thailand announced plans to sue a doctor who had used condoms filled with salt water instead of silicon implants in their breasts. Somsak Wongpaisarn, 30, said he and seven other transvestites would be suing for malpractice and damages. He will use the money to have his breasts rebuilt. "For a transvestite, her figure is the most important thing," he said.
Expensive Day for Derek Jolly, whose dog, a golden Labrador named Barney, tried to eat pounds 800 in notes his master had saved to buy a car. Mr Jolly, of Southampton, put together around pounds 500 from shredded notes found in the dog's mouth and on the kitchen floor.
Life & Style blogs
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Doctors are allowed to have personal beliefs, just as long as these beliefs do not interfere with th...
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.