Protect your home from winter weather

Frozen pipes and broken-down boilers can be expensive if you haven't got adequate cover. Chiara Cavaglieri reports

This is already shaping up to be a cold winter.

Temperatures of close to -20C have been reported in some parts and even in the big cities the mercury has regularly fallen below freezing. With icy conditions and further outbreaks of snow on the way, our homes may seem like warm safe places to hibernate this winter. But with the risk of freezing pipes and boilers breaking down, those without comprehensive cover could be forced to fork out hundreds and even thousands of pounds in repairs and call-out fees to cover the damage.

We're all accustomed to wrapping up in scarves and hats to face the elements, but insurers warn we need to winter-proof our homes too. An unexpected plumbing bill due to a frozen or burst pipe or a defunct boiler couldn't come at a worse time with Christmas only a few weeks away. Although many home insurance policies will cover you for some damage caused by such emergencies, if you want full protection against potential winter hazards, it pays to take out extra home emergency cover for peace of mind.

"If you don't have cover, a broken boiler will mean the family is left in the cold, possibly with no hot water until you can find a heating engineer to make the essential repairs. Even worse, if your boiler is a write-off, you'll have to find a substantial sum (£1,200-£1,600 or more) to replace the boiler," says Seamour Rathore from price comparison site

Some insurers include cover in their standard home insurance policies. For example, Sheilas' Wheels will pay up to £500 per claim for call-out charges, two hours' labour costs, parts and materials up to £100 for the sudden failure to function of the main heating system. Others will let you add cover for an extra fee. For example, the AA charges an extra £24.99 a year for up to £250 per claim for call-out charges, labour costs, parts and materials for an emergency due to burst or blocked pipes, flooding or significant risk of flooding as a result of damage to the domestic heating or water system.

Alternatively, you can take out a separate, stand-alone policy. Most energy companies offer this but there is no obligation to take cover from your supplier, so compare both prices and the level of cover available carefully. Homeserve, for example, offers gas boiler breakdown cover for £9.18 per month.

"It is always worth reading the small print and checking the extent of your cover," says Julie Owens, the head of home insurance at "I would also advise people to shop around and consider the type of cover required. If you need more comprehensive cover, then a stand-alone policy might suit you better."

If you're looking to get protection for the coming weeks, note that you may have to wait before you can make a claim. The initial no-claims period can be up to 28 days after taking out the policy with some companies.

With both add-on cover and stand-alone products, it's crucial to check for exclusions. Some policies will be invalidated if you leave your property unoccupied for a long time, typically 30 days in a row. If you are planning a long trip, tell your insurer first and confirm that you are still covered if anything happens while you're away. You should also ensure that your policy has "trace and access" cover, without which you may have to reach into your own pocket if the plumbers remove any carpets or fittings while they try to fix your pipes.

When it comes to cover for boiler breakdown, many plans exclude those over 15 years old. Find out your model before you shop around and check if there is an excess level to pay or a limit on the number of claims per year. The Homecare 100 policy from British Gas costs from £13 per month and allows an unlimited number of claims as well as annual service of your boiler, whereas the AA's stand-alone Home Emergency Response policy, costing £12.99 per month, allows only four claims per year. However, don't let price be your only consideration: Homecare100 covers only boilers and controls, while the AA's policy includes cover for your boiler, plus burst water pipes, blocked drains, electrical failure, pest infestation and even lost keys, so you do get more bang for your buck.

Finally, remember that prevention is always better than the cure so take simple steps to minimise the risk of a home emergency.

"It's worth taking 10 minutes to do some basic checks around the home to help prevent a small leak from becoming a disaster. Stand in your garden and have a look at the roof – has the recent snow dislodged any tiles? Is all your visible pipe work leak or drip free? Also check the insulation around water pipes in the loft or other exposed areas. A small gap can easily mean a frozen pipe when temperatures hit minus degrees," says Tom Stringer, the head of home rescue at the AA.

Other steps should include having your boiler serviced at least once a year, insulating your loft, water pipes and tank to stop the water freezing, clearing gutters and drainpipes of leaves to prevent blockages and overflows, and keeping the central heating set to at least 10C to prevent pipes from freezing. You should also have a home emergency kit on standby containing torches, tinned food, warm clothing, blankets, and of course, your home insurance documents.

Expert View

Julie Owens,

With freezing winter conditions upon us and Christmas right around the corner, having a home emergency policy in place can give you much-needed peace of mind in the hectic and costly festive season. If you have any kind of emergency at home such as boiler breakdown, a flood or a wiring problem, access to tradespeople can be limited and the costs can run into hundreds of pounds before anyone has set foot through the door.

Start your day with The Independent, sign up for daily news emails
Suggested Topics
Ben Little, right, is a Labour supporter while Jonathan Rogers supports the Green Party
general election 2015
The 91st Hakone Ekiden Qualifier at Showa Kinen Park, Tokyo, 2014
Life and Style
Former helicopter pilot Major Tim Peake will become the first UK astronaut in space for over 20 years
food + drinkNothing but the best for British astronaut as chef Heston Blumenthal cooks up his rations
Kim Wilde began gardening in the 1990s when she moved to the countryside
peopleThe singer is leading an appeal for the charity Thrive, which uses the therapy of horticulture
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Alexis Sanchez celebrates scoring a second for Arsenal against Reading
Life and Style
An easy-peel potato; Dave Hax has come up with an ingenious method in food preparation
voicesDave Hax's domestic tips are reminiscent of George Orwell's tea routine. The world might need revolution, but we like to sweat the small stuff, says DJ Taylor
Japan's population is projected to fall dramatically in the next 50 years (Wikimedia)
Life and Style
Buyers of secondhand cars are searching out shades last seen in cop show ‘The Sweeney’
motoringFlares and flounce are back on catwalks but a revival in ’70s car paintjobs was a stack-heeled step too far – until now
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant

    £20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...

    Ashdown Group: IT Manager / Development Manager - NW London - £58k + 15% bonus

    £50000 - £667000 per annum + excellent benefits : Ashdown Group: IT Manager / ...

    Recruitment Genius: Sales Consultant / Telemarketer - OTE £20,000

    £13000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Scotland's leading life insuran...

    Ashdown Group: Training Programme Manager - City, London

    £40000 - £45000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Training Programme Manag...

    Day In a Page

    NHS struggling to monitor the safety and efficacy of its services outsourced to private providers

    Who's monitoring the outsourced NHS services?

    A report finds that private firms are not being properly assessed for their quality of care
    Zac Goldsmith: 'I'll trigger a by-election over Heathrow'

    Zac Goldsmith: 'I'll trigger a by-election over Heathrow'

    The Tory MP said he did not want to stand again unless his party's manifesto ruled out a third runway. But he's doing so. Watch this space
    How do Greek voters feel about Syriza's backtracking on its anti-austerity pledge?

    How do Greeks feel about Syriza?

    Five voters from different backgrounds tell us what they expect from Syriza's charismatic leader Alexis Tsipras
    From Iraq to Libya and Syria: The wars that come back to haunt us

    The wars that come back to haunt us

    David Cameron should not escape blame for his role in conflicts that are still raging, argues Patrick Cockburn
    Sam Baker and Lauren Laverne: Too busy to surf? Head to The Pool

    Too busy to surf? Head to The Pool

    A new website is trying to declutter the internet to help busy women. Holly Williams meets the founders
    Heston Blumenthal to cook up a spice odyssey for British astronaut manning the International Space Station

    UK's Major Tum to blast off on a spice odyssey

    Nothing but the best for British astronaut as chef Heston Blumenthal cooks up his rations
    John Harrison's 'longitude' clock sets new record - 300 years on

    ‘Longitude’ clock sets new record - 300 years on

    Greenwich horologists celebrate as it keeps to within a second of real time over a 100-day test
    Fears in the US of being outgunned in the vital propaganda wars by Russia, China - and even Isis - have prompted a rethink on overseas broadcasters

    Let the propaganda wars begin - again

    'Accurate, objective, comprehensive': that was Voice of America's creed, but now its masters want it to promote US policy, reports Rupert Cornwell
    Why Japan's incredible long-distance runners will never win the London Marathon

    Japan's incredible long-distance runners

    Every year, Japanese long-distance runners post some of the world's fastest times – yet, come next weekend, not a single elite competitor from the country will be at the London Marathon
    Why does Tom Drury remain the greatest writer you've never heard of?

    Tom Drury: The quiet American

    His debut was considered one of the finest novels of the past 50 years, and he is every bit the equal of his contemporaries, Jonathan Franzen, Dave Eggers and David Foster Wallace
    You should judge a person by how they peel a potato

    You should judge a person by how they peel a potato

    Dave Hax's domestic tips are reminiscent of George Orwell's tea routine. The world might need revolution, but we like to sweat the small stuff, says DJ Taylor
    Beige is back: The drab car colours of the 1970s are proving popular again

    Beige to the future

    Flares and flounce are back on catwalks but a revival in ’70s car paintjobs was a stack-heeled step too far – until now
    Bill Granger recipes: Our chef's dishes highlight the delicate essence of fresh cheeses

    Bill Granger cooks with fresh cheeses

    More delicate on the palate, milder, fresh cheeses can also be kinder to the waistline
    Aston Villa vs Liverpool: 'This FA Cup run has been wonderful,' says veteran Shay Given

    Shay Given: 'This FA Cup run has been wonderful'

    The Villa keeper has been overlooked for a long time and has unhappy memories of the national stadium – but he is savouring his chance to play at Wembley
    Timeless drama of Championship race in league of its own - Michael Calvin

    Michael Calvin's Last Word

    Timeless drama of Championship race in league of its own