Beginner's Guide To: Student loans
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Saturday 22 August 2009
If you're heading off to university this September, the chances are you will be using a student loan to meet your living costs and tuition fees. Do you know how much you can expect? Or what you'll pay? Read on for our simple guide to student loans.
What can I borrow?
Students starting their studies in September or January can borrow up to £3,225 for their tuition fees and up to £4,950 through a maintenance loan.
UK undergraduates automatically qualify for 75 per cent of that, while the remaining 25 per cent is means tested, so depends on your family's income.
Do I pay interest?
These loans are one of the cheapest forms of borrowing, as the Government subsidises the interest. The rate of interest you pay is set by inflation to make sure what you pay back is the same as what you borrowed.
When and how do I repay?
You won't start repaying your student loan until you're earning at least £15,000 a year and the amount you pay depends on what you earn.
Don't worry about setting up a standing order or anything – unless you pay self-assessment tax – your repayments will be taken from your pay like a tax before it reaches your bank account.
Your payslip will show what has been deducted and you should also be sent statements every year showing your outstanding balance and how much there is left to pay.
Is there any free help?
Many universities will have bursaries to help students from less well off families afford to study. There is also a government maintenance grant, or special support grant, of up to £2,906, which doesn't need to be repaid. However, if you qualify for this amount, it will reduce the amount you are eligible to borrow as a maintenance loan.
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 3 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Exclusive: Woolwich killings suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Day In a Page
A modern home of almost 1,000sq ft is close to Stoke Newington's high street. £499,950
A five-bedroom bungalow in Hoveton with riverside garden and mooring dock, £550,000
A refurbished one-bedroom flat with south-facing reception and high ceilings. £579,950
A four-bedroom Grade II-listed house in Nazeing with large gardens. £550,000
A modern four-bedroom house in a converted stable within walking distance to Peckham Rye. £695,000
Three-bedroom house in a quiet residential area within close distance to Battersea Park. £450,000
A three-bedroom cottage within commuting distance of London, Norwich and Cambridge. £250,000
A two-bedroom cottage with a sun room and gardens in South Chard. £350,000.
A three-bedroom semi-detached house with original features including fireplaces and wooden flooring. £399,950
A modern two-bedroom flat split across two floors and close to several public transport links. £595,000
A one-bedroom flat with an open-plan reception/kitchen and private balcony. £315,000.
A bright two-bedroom garden flat between South Acton and Chiswick Park. £499,950.
A listed four-bedroom farmhouse with stables, set in four acres. £500,000.
A three-storey family home with four bedrooms and an extended kitchen/diner. £995,000.
A three-bedroom Hamstone cottage in the rolling Somerset countryside. £430,000.
A luxury one-bedroom apartment on the first floor of a converted Victorian house. £425,000.