Money Insider: 10 tips for credit-card balance transfers
Friday 27 June 2014
The credit-card balance transfer war shows no signs of cooling off with some interest-free deals now close to three years in length, so here are some useful tips to help you make the most of these offers, plus some of the stumbling blocks to watch out for.
Card companies are tripping over themselves to lend to credit-worthy customers, with Halifax, MBNA and Barclaycard all launching new offers in the last fortnight.
If you're thinking of moving your balance to an interest-free card, this guide could help you avoid the more-obvious potential pitfalls.
1. Double-check how much you owe – refer to your latest statement but don't forget to include any additional purchases or payments you've made since then – if in any doubt give your card provider a call to confirm.
2. Use an online calculator to see what you'll save by switching to a 0 per cent card – check The UK Cards Association or Money Advice Service
3. Work out how much you can comfortably afford to pay back each month – make sure this is manageable within your monthly budget. Divide your outstanding balance(s) by the amount you can afford monthly – then you'll know how long a 0 per cent term you need.
4. Be aware the longest 0 per cent term may not be the cheapest deal for you – As a rule of thumb, the longer the term of the deal the more expensive the balance transfer fee, so don't opt for 32 or 33 months if you know you can clear your debt much sooner.
5. You can't transfer debts between certain credit cards – e.g. MBNA and Virgin Money, existing Barclaycard balances to a new Barclaycard and no transfers between First Direct/HSBC/M&S/John Lewis credit cards as they are all part of the same group.
6. Find out if you are eligible for the card without a footprint being made on your credit record – Moneysaving Expert offers the pre-eligibility function on its website to help you do this. Also, some providers allow you to make a soft search as part of the initial application, including Fluid, Nationwide Building Society and MBNA. It's better to know this upfront rather than go through a 20-minute application process which is registered on your credit record, only to find that your application is declined.
7. Ensure you make your balance transfer(s) within the limited timescale permitted – some card providers request that transfers are made within 60 to 90 days of the date your card account is opened.
8. Don't give your card provider an excuse to cancel your 0 per cent rate – set up a direct debit to make the minimum payment each month (you are free to make extra payments on top of this) – otherwise, if you're late with a payment or exceed your credit limit your interest-free deal will be terminated immediately, meaning you will be faced with paying a high interest rate and be back to square one.
9. Three key reasons to close down your old card account(s):a – Removes the temptation to run up balances on the card(s) in the future; b– Cards with a zero balance will still be taken into account on your credit record as the credit limit on each card is considered as borrowing available for you to use; c –If you just destroy the card without closing the account, there is a security risk. If you move home and forget to advise the credit-card company, at the expiry date the new card would be posted to your old address.
10. Keep tabs on your new card balance and make a diary note for two months before your 0 per cent deal expires – this gives you time to switch again if you know the balance isn't going to be fully repaid by the time your promotional rate comes to an end.
ES Partners: for credit card comparison information please visit Totally Money
Fuel poverty could kill 100,000 vulnerable people over the next 15 years, charity warns
Phoenix Life: Chance of a refund for overcharged policyholders has risen
Simon Read: You're guilty until proven innocent when HMRC sends in the tax credit detectives
Simon Read: That's right, BT, they'd rather pay for a free service
Bank-beating exchange rates on your international payments
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...
Day In a Page
This six-bedroom Georgian home is on three floors with open fireplaces, a two-oven Aga, an annexe, and cottage gardens with outbuildings and a car barn
High Crest House covers an impressive 9384sq ft, with almost three acres of grounds including a tennis court and summer house enclosed by electric gates
A six-bedroom farmhouse with separate accommodation in converted stables. Situated in the village of Church Aston, within walking distance to the market town
A two-bedroom flat with under-heated walnut floors and bespoke built-in storage. The Tube and Clapham Common are a short stroll away
A refurbished seven-bedroom townhouse with staff quarters, cinema room, superb gym, steam room and plunge pool
A minimnalist four-bedroom home designed to the highest spec, featuring glass walls and a kitchen space lit by a glass roof
Hibernate during winter and make your living during the summer at this busy guesthouse with panoramic sea views, in the village of Lynton
A four-bedroom penthouse next to the Tate with direct views of St Paul's from two floors of luxurious living space
A four-bedroom detached home surrounded by spacious gardens and woodland, close to New Pudsey
An 18th-century, three-bedroom home near Langstone Harbour built from ships beams with vaulted ceilings and wood burning stoves
A five-bedroom semi-detached home with a mix of period and modern features in a popular and convenient location
This five-bedroom red-brick beauty overlooks the village green and sits in just under two acres of land
A three-bedroom villa with self-contained flat, minutes from Lake Windermere
A deceptively spacious, beautifully presented Georgian home with 3000sq ft of living space and five reception rooms
A five-bedroom Victorian home with four receptions, superb gardens and paddock in Pembury
An eight-bedroom house on the south side of the The Green with cinema, wine cellars and summer house
This 17th century beauty is full of rustic cosiness, while the detached home office means you can also run a business
Four exclusive apartments in a Grade II-listed former medical school with 2,275 sq ft of living space and 18ft ceilings
A five-bedroom terraced house on the popular Peterborough Estate, ideally located for both Eel Brook Common and South Park
A state-of-the-art farm-building conversion on the former Cliveden Estate, with 11,420sq ft of internal space, cinema and wine cellar
A three-bedroom, 15th-century cottage with original features in the picturesque village of Sissinghurst
A six-bedroom terraced house with large south-facing roof terrace, cinema room and wine cellar
A new seven-bedroom home built in Queen Anne-style with swimming pool and parkland views in Mortimer
A listed, four-bedroom farmhouse in the rural hamlet of Rushall with detached barn, four acres of gardens and paddocks
A first-floor flat with two bedrooms, a spacious reception room and communal grounds in a leafy part of London
A three-bedroom flat with a spacious rootop terrace and balcony, accessed from a private gated courtyard
A Grade II-listed pile with six bedrooms, stables and 39 acres of grounds in Standlake
A two-bedroom flat with boutique hotel-style interiors, close to the foodie haunt of West End Lane
A two-bedroom flat in a beautiful old vicarage, with many original features, close to the city centre
A three-bedroom 16th-century home with an aga kitchen, private gardens and heated outdoor pool, in Hadleigh
A three-bedrom home in sought-after Queen's Gate Mews, with Italian marble-finished bathrooms
Surrounded by glorious countryside in the village of Udimore, sits this impressive four-kiln oast and barn conversion
A five-bedroom house in the picturesque village of Kettlewell, north Yorkshire
An 18th-century former coaching inn with original staircase, open fireplaces and beams throughout
A Grade II-listed Georgian town house with three bedrooms and a south-facing courtyard, near Arundel Castle
Feel on top of the world at this über chic penthouse on the 37th floor of one of Europe’s tallest blocks.
A Grade II-listed Victorian villa with six bedrooms and two further cottages, all with spectacular sea views
A grade II-listed, Georgian cottage with mature 50ft garden, perfect for summer entertaining
A magnificent Georgian pile with turrets, seven bedrooms, a heated pool and four acres of gardens
Fairoak Farm has five bedroom suites, gym, outdoor swimming pool and golf course
Chic two-bedroom river-fronted flat with a private lift that delivers you directly to your home
A spectacular seven-bedroom Tudor pile, once owned by Henry VIII, with 18 acres of land
A seven-bedroom Georgian property previously used as a picturesque wedding venue
A split-level flat in a church conversion with two en suite bedrooms and 1,200sq ft of living space
A three-bedroom bungalow situated behind an impressive stone wall, £645,000
Windsor Castle overlooks this three-bedroom Victorian cottage located on one of Windsor's smartest roads