Ask Annie: From motherhood to pensions, what are my Dutch wife's rights?

Q: I am a British man married to a Dutch citizen, and we have decided to settle in Britain permanently and get jobs. My wife would like to know what her rights are to a UK state pension and to maternity benefits. We would also like to know whether her Dutch citizenship could go against us in being accepted for a mortgage. Will the lender need to see what she was earning while living abroad, or will it only take UK earnings into account?

DJ, London

A: Your wife will have her own pension entitlement in the UK, and will be able to claim the money when she reaches state pension age. This is currently 60 for a woman, but the age is being increased gradually from April 2010 so that by 2020 both men and women will have the same state pension age of 65.

As for the size of her pension, this depends on the number of years that she makes national insurance contributions (NICs) 39 years are needed for a full state pension, falling to 30 from 2010.

If you start a family together, your wife will qualify for home responsibility protection. In effect, HRP ensures that if she doesn't work while bringing up children, her NICs are made-up for her. You get HRP if you are claiming child benefit or if you are a carer for a disabled person.

If your wife builds up enough years of NICs, she will qualify for the full Category A pension, currently 84.25 a week. Failing this, she should qualify for a Category B based on your own contributions (50.50 a week while you are still alive and 84.25 if you died). Category B pensions are only available to married women, widows and widowers, and are based on their spouse's national insurance record. For more details, contact the Government's International Pensions Centre on 0191 218 7777.

If your wife works and has average weekly earnings of over 87 a week, she will be entitled to statutory maternity pay. SMP is payable for a maximum of 39 weeks, for the first six weeks at a rate of 90 per cent of average earnings, and for the rest at a flat rate of 112.75 per week. She may be entitled to up to 10 days' paid work, known as "keeping in touch days"', without losing entitlement to SMP.

As for a mortgage, David Hollingworth of broker London & Country says lenders will only be interested in your ability as a couple to service the loan, so your wife's employment history in the Netherlands won't be relevant. "Lenders will want to know that you have permanent jobs and can afford to make the repayments," he says. "Many will require you to have been in a job for three months before they lend to you, to make sure you have got past any probationary period and will be staying in employment."

That your wife is a Dutch citizen shouldn't make any difference to the application, because she has a right to live and work in the UK.

However, if both of you have been living outside the UK, this could adversely affect your credit score. Lenders like people to have lived at the same British address for at least three years. "In the worst case, you could be refused a loan altogether," says Mr Hollingworth. "But more likely the lender would just peg back the size of the mortgage and not advance as much as it would to someone with a longer residence history."

If you need help from our consumer champion, write to Annie Shaw at The Independent on Sunday, Independent House, 191 Marsh Wall, London E14 9RS or email We cannot return documents, give personal replies or guarantee to answer letters. We accept no legal responsibility for advice given

Independent Partners: 10 top tips for retirement. Get your free guide here

peopleFrankie Boyle responds to referendum result in characteristically offensive style
Lewis Hamilton will start the Singapore Grand Prix from pole, with Nico Rosberg second and Daniel Ricciardo third
F1... for floodlit Singapore Grand Prix
Arts and Entertainment
'New Tricks' star Dennis Waterman is departing from the show after he completes filming on two more episodes
tvHe is only remaining member of original cast
Arts and Entertainment
tvHighs and lows of the cast's careers since 2004
Fans hold up a scarf at West Ham vs Liverpool
footballAfter Arsenal's clear victory, focus turns to West Ham vs Liverpool
New Articles
i100... she's just started school
New Articles
Life and Style
Couples have been having sex less in 2014, according to a new survey
Arts and Entertainment
musicBiographer Hunter Davies has collected nearly a hundred original manuscripts
New Articles
i100... despite rising prices
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Senior BA - Motor and Home Insurance

    £400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...

    Market Risk & Control Manager

    Up to £100k or £450p/d: Saxton Leigh: My client is a leading commodities tradi...

    SQL Developer - Watford/NW London - £320 - £330 p/d - 6 months

    £320 - £330 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...

    Head of Audit

    To £75,000 + Pension + Benefits + Bonus: Saxton Leigh: My client is looking f...

    Day In a Page

    Scottish referendum: The Yes vote was the love that dared speak its name, but it was not to be

    Despite the result, this is the end of the status quo

    Boyd Tonkin on the fall-out from the Scottish referendum
    Manolo Blahnik: The high priest of heels talks flats, Englishness, and why he loves Mary Beard

    Manolo Blahnik: Flats, Englishness, and Mary Beard

    The shoe designer who has been dubbed 'the patron saint of the stiletto'
    The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written

    Scrambled eggs and LSD

    Behind The Beatles' lyrics - thanks to Hunter Davis's original manuscript copies
    'Normcore' fashion: Blending in is the new standing out in latest catwalk non-trend

    'Normcore': Blending in is the new standing out

    Just when fashion was in grave danger of running out of trends, it only went and invented the non-trend. Rebecca Gonsalves investigates
    Dance’s new leading ladies fight back: How female vocalists are now writing their own hits

    New leading ladies of dance fight back

    How female vocalists are now writing their own hits
    Mystery of the Ground Zero wedding photo

    A shot in the dark

    Mystery of the wedding photo from Ground Zero
    His life, the universe and everything

    His life, the universe and everything

    New biography sheds light on comic genius of Douglas Adams
    Save us from small screen superheroes

    Save us from small screen superheroes

    Shows like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D are little more than marketing tools
    Reach for the skies

    Reach for the skies

    From pools to football pitches, rooftop living is looking up
    These are the 12 best hotel spas in the UK

    12 best hotel spas in the UK

    Some hotels go all out on facilities; others stand out for the sheer quality of treatments
    These Iranian-controlled Shia militias used to specialise in killing American soldiers. Now they are fighting Isis, backed up by US airstrikes

    Widespread fear of Isis is producing strange bedfellows

    Iranian-controlled Shia militias that used to kill American soldiers are now fighting Isis, helped by US airstrikes
    Topshop goes part Athena poster, part last spring Prada

    Topshop goes part Athena poster, part last spring Prada

    Shoppers don't come to Topshop for the unique
    How to make a Lego masterpiece

    How to make a Lego masterpiece

    Toy breaks out of the nursery and heads for the gallery
    Meet the ‘Endies’ – city dwellers who are too poor to have fun

    Meet the ‘Endies’ – city dwellers who are too poor to have fun

    Urbanites are cursed with an acronym pointing to Employed but No Disposable Income or Savings
    Paisley’s decision to make peace with IRA enemies might remind the Arabs of Sadat

    Ian Paisley’s decision to make peace with his IRA enemies

    His Save Ulster from Sodomy campaign would surely have been supported by many a Sunni imam