Save now or pay the price later


Trisha Cochrane is 35 and a freelance occupational psychologist. She is in her third year of self-employment, having earned pounds 25,000 before tax in year one, just pounds 12,000 in year two, but pounds 14,000 to date in the first half of her third year.

She lives in west London with her partner, who works full-time. She pays pounds 200 a month on her mortgage, which is for pounds 30,000, and also has around pounds 90,000 of equity in her home. She has an endowment policy - presently worth pounds 12,000 - to cover the home loan. Trisha also puts pounds 450 a month into a joint account for bills, house improvements, going out and the like.

Trisha has pounds 7,000 in PEPs, another pounds 1,500 in Norwich Union shares, and pounds 2,000 in premium bonds. She also tries to put pounds 100 a month into a postal account with Buckinghamshire building society, although in practice this seems to get spent.

Trisha has never been in a company pension scheme, but while she was working full-time she started a personal pension, which also included contracting out of the earnings-related state pension (Serps). Contributions into this have been variable and total around pounds 11,000 to date, and at present she is saving pounds 175 (including tax relief) a month.

Trisha is concerned about whether she is saving enough for her pension and making the most of her savings.

What a financial adviser recommends:

Trisha does need to think about saving more for her pension. Based on what she has put into her personal pension so far and even assuming she continues saving at the present rate of pounds 175 a month for the next 25 years, she could be due a pension of just pounds 4,200 (state pension aside and with annual increases of 5 per cent built in). If growth is higher, say 9 per cent a year, the pension could be around pounds 10,500 a year. But even assuming the higher figure, this does not take into account how inflation will have eaten away at the spending power of that money by the time Trisha retires aged 60.

To get a better idea of the likely shortfall, Trisha should ask each of her three pension companies - Scottish Provident, Scottish Widows and Scottish Amicable - as well as the DSS (for the state pension), for forecasts of the different pensions she will be due at retirement.

Scottish Amicable is in the process of being taken over by Prudential and Trisha will be due a windfall in October. The other two insurers may yet be taken over or convert into companies quoted on the stock market. Trisha should check whether she is in the with-profits funds of these insurers or, if not, consider putting at least some money in those fund options. By being in these funds she will maximise her chance of benefiting from any windfalls.

With the three companies she should also check she has "waiver of premium" cover. This will ensure her contributions continue to be paid should she be unable to work through ill health.

The pension plans she has are good ones in that they allow her to stop, increase or decrease contributions or retire early without penalty. But, realistically, getting a decent retirement income from them will depend on her ability and willingness to save more.

She should consider cashing in her premium bonds and switching to a building society. Premium bonds are most attractive to higher-rate taxpayers because prizes are tax-free. The money should be put in a postal account, preferably of a building society that might yet produce a windfall. It could also be used to pay Trisha's approaching tax bill.

Trisha has a James Capel PEP which allows her to choose her own investments - a "self-select" plan - but she is not interested in choosing her own shares and believes the stock market is at a dangerously high level. She should consider switching to a PEP that offers some downside protection. Plans offered by Scottish Widows and Govett both offer growth but lock in gains as they go along.

Similarly, she might consider swapping her Norwich Union shares for a unit trust PEP holding or otherwise switch them into a PEP - if she wants to keep them.

q Trisha Cochrane was talking to Paul Grant, director of Master Adviser, which is based in central London and is a member of Financial Options Group, a network of independent financial advisers.

If you would like to be considered for a financial makeover for publication, write to Steve Lodge, personal finance editor, Independent on Sunday, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL. Fax: 0171-293 2096 or 2098; e-mail: Please include details of your current financial situation, a daytime telephone number, and state why you think you need a makeover.

Start your day with The Independent, sign up for daily news emails
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Yorkshire Building Society is a leading player in offsets

Offset mortgages: How to save thousands of pounds and reduce the term of your home loan

Offset mortgages make even more sense when savings rates are at rock bottom

A physiotherapist helps a patient – a service one ex-employee was denied after paying for it

Questions of Cash: I've been chased for a phantom debt. What can I do to stop it haunting my credit status?

An Independent reader received a letter stating that a debt with O2 had been sold to a firm called Lowell Financial for collection

My Travel Cash card charges a punitive 'inactivity' fee of €2.50 a month

Simon Read stored the card away for 24 months, which cost him €60

Renting from a rogue landlord? It’s time to know your rights

Some 125,000 tenants have been victims of abusive landlords in the past year

This year's models: buyers have plenty of options as they try to get the money together to drive away from the dealer in a new car

Car finance options: Best way to buy a 65 plate

Sales could find another gear as the '65' registration hits the forecourts next week. Rob Griffin looks at the finance options
In too deep? Travel cover is among the benefits offered by packaged bank accounts

Claims firms blamed as complaints soar over packaged bank accounts

Many customers complained they were switched to the accounts without their knowledge

Finger on the interest rate trigger: the Bank of England

The best deals on personal loans: Peer-to-peer providers are more competitive for smaller sums

Meanwhile, high-street lenders continue to cherry-pick and be more competitive on larger loans

China stock collapse: Five things you need to know about 'Black Monday'

The market plummeted this week, losing all the gains made for the year

Which? warns sports fans about Rugby World Cup ticket scams offers deals that may be too good to be true

Could it be the time to focus on Japan? Some believe the country has no choice but to boost consumption and the economy will get back on track

Investors told to travel the world in the search for higher returns

Assets have risen in value across the board and volatility isn't going away. Rob Griffin asks where we should put our cash
As rising house prices push up demand for renting, so tenants are having to dig deeper than ever

Starter home initiative is urgently needed as rents go through the roof

Rents in England and Wales rose by 1.9 per cent in July to an average of £804

Peer-to-peer lending rates put Nisas to shame

The returns from P2P providers look more attractive than ever

Questions of Cash: Log-in problems turned eDreams booking into one-way ticket to nowhere

The company failed to provide our reader's flight ticket - or a refund

Hot property: business has been booming in estate agents this month, even though it’s the height of the summer holiday season

Heat rises for mortgage deals as UK homeowners sense a rate hike coming

The housing market should go quiet in August but instead people have been acting like cheap loans won't last. Do we really have to rush, asks Simon Read
Phones have now overtaken personal computers as the most used way of accessing the internet

Who you gonna call? The Complaints Busters

Unhappy customers have been given their own Ombudsman to help fight for them.

Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Recruitment Genius: Sales Executive / Foreign Exchange Dealer - OTE £40,000+

    £16000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Foreign Exchange Dealer is re...

    SThree: Experienced Recruitment Consultant

    £20000 - £40000 per annum + OTE + Incentives + Benefits: SThree: Established f...

    SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant

    £20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE 40/45k + INCENTIVES + BENEFITS: SThree: The su...

    Recruitment Genius: Collections Agent

    £14000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company was established in...

    Day In a Page

    The long walk west: they fled war in Syria, only to get held up in Hungary – now hundreds of refugees have set off on foot for Austria

    They fled war in Syria...

    ...only to get stuck and sidetracked in Hungary
    From The Prisoner to Mad Men, elaborate title sequences are one of the keys to a great TV series

    Title sequences: From The Prisoner to Mad Men

    Elaborate title sequences are one of the keys to a great TV series. But why does the art form have such a chequered history?
    Giorgio Armani Beauty's fabric-inspired foundations: Get back to basics this autumn

    Giorgio Armani Beauty's foundations

    Sumptuous fabrics meet luscious cosmetics for this elegant look
    From stowaways to Operation Stack: Life in a transcontinental lorry cab

    Life from the inside of a trucker's cab

    From stowaways to Operation Stack, it's a challenging time to be a trucker heading to and from the Continent
    Kelis interview: The songwriter and sauce-maker on cooking for Pharrell and crying over potatoes

    Kelis interview

    The singer and sauce-maker on cooking for Pharrell
    Refugee crisis: David Cameron lowered the flag for the dead king of Saudi Arabia - will he do the same honour for little Aylan Kurdi?

    Cameron lowered the flag for the dead king of Saudi Arabia...

    But will he do the same honour for little Aylan Kurdi, asks Robert Fisk
    Our leaders lack courage in this refugee crisis. We are shamed by our European neighbours

    Our leaders lack courage in this refugee crisis. We are shamed by our European neighbours

    Humanity must be at the heart of politics, says Jeremy Corbyn
    Joe Biden's 'tease tour': Could the US Vice-President be testing the water for a presidential run?

    Joe Biden's 'tease tour'

    Could the US Vice-President be testing the water for a presidential run?
    Britain's 24-hour culture: With the 'leisured society' a distant dream we're working longer and less regular hours than ever

    Britain's 24-hour culture

    With the 'leisured society' a distant dream we're working longer and less regular hours than ever
    Diplomacy board game: Treachery is the way to win - which makes it just like the real thing

    The addictive nature of Diplomacy

    Bullying, betrayal, aggression – it may be just a board game, but the family that plays Diplomacy may never look at each other in the same way again
    Lady Chatterley's Lover: Racy underwear for fans of DH Lawrence's equally racy tome

    Fashion: Ooh, Lady Chatterley!

    Take inspiration from DH Lawrence's racy tome with equally racy underwear
    8 best children's clocks

    Tick-tock: 8 best children's clocks

    Whether you’re teaching them to tell the time or putting the finishing touches to a nursery, there’s a ticker for that
    Charlie Austin: Queens Park Rangers striker says ‘If the move is not right, I’m not going’

    Charlie Austin: ‘If the move is not right, I’m not going’

    After hitting 18 goals in the Premier League last season, the QPR striker was the great non-deal of transfer deadline day. But he says he'd preferred another shot at promotion
    Isis profits from destruction of antiquities by selling relics to dealers - and then blowing up the buildings they come from to conceal the evidence of looting

    How Isis profits from destruction of antiquities

    Robert Fisk on the terrorist group's manipulation of the market to increase the price of artefacts
    Labour leadership: Andy Burnham urges Jeremy Corbyn voters to think again in last-minute plea

    'If we lose touch we’ll end up with two decades of the Tories'

    In an exclusive interview, Andy Burnham urges Jeremy Corbyn voters to think again in last-minute plea