Ask Annie: 'I paid for everything. Divorce could cost me everything'

Q: I filed for divorce two years ago and it was finalised this time last year. I was the breadwinner during the time my ex-husband and I were married, and we bought a house together in 2001.

He had financial problems throughout our marriage and never had a steady income, as he was a self-employed builder. So I took care of all mortgage payments and household bills. Everything came out of my bank account – not a joint account. Because of his financial difficulties, I also had to borrow money from my family to make ends meet.

When we separated, he signed the house over to me and I took on the mortgage in my sole name. I didn't pay him anything because he had contributed nothing.

I also took on a £10,000 credit card debt he had run up just prior to our separating, as he was unable to pay it.

I am now horrified to learn that, since our divorce, he has filed for bankruptcy and the Official Receiver is investigating why the house was transferred to me on our divorce for "nil consideration". In order to provide all the information it wants, I will have to go through six years-plus of paperwork.

It has taken me all this time to get back on an even keel financially – and this only as a result of my mother giving me money. I have toiled for years to pay the mortgage, on my own, and only through my tenacity did I manage to hold on to the house.

It would now be the ultimate insult if his creditors felt that, despite his contributing nothing and me struggling to keep the property, they have rights over my home.

SG, London

A: I am afraid the news is not good. In bankruptcy cases, the law presumes that a house held in joint names is owned 50-50, unless there is specific documentation to the contrary. James Banks, director of the Royal Courts of Justice Advice Bureau, part of Citizens Advice, says: "You aren't legally obliged to provide the information that the Official Receiver is asking for, but if you don't, it will automatically be assumed that your ex-husband was entitled to half the value of the home on your separation, and that the transaction for nil consideration was a 'transaction under value'.

"The Receiver will then apply to have the transaction set aside and arrange for the house to be sold to realise your ex-husband's supposed 50 per cent share."

If you don't supply the information, this will certainly happen. If you do supply it, you might in some way be able to present a case that you contributed a greater share towards buying the house and should retain a greater share. But, generally speaking, the law is not on your side.

Unfortunately for you, the trustee in bankruptcy, the person appointed by the court to administer the financial affairs of the bankrupt, is legally obliged to recover as much as possible for the creditors. Mr Banks says they can be "vicious" in carrying out their duties. "They won't give two hoots that you have helped your husband with his debts. They will just want the money they can legally recover for the creditors."

It is not possible to judge the outcome here as every case is different, and I don't want to sound too gloomy. But you should not ignore the reality of what might happen and you should seek legal advice immediately to protect your interests. You need a lawyer who specialises both in family law and bankruptcy, as in this case the two interlock.

Independent Partners; request a free guide on NISAs from Hargreaves Lansdown

Barn owls are among species that could be affected
charity appeal
Sarah Silverman (middle) with sister Reform Rabbi Susan Silverman (right) and sister actress Laura Silverman (left) at Jerusalem's Western Wall for feminist Hanuka candle-lighting ceremony
peopleControversial comedian stages pro-equality Hanukkah lighting during a protest at Jerusalem's Wailing Wall
Arts and Entertainment
The Bach Choir has been crowned the inaugural winner of Sky Arts’ show The Great Culture Quiz
arts + ents140-year-old choir declared winner of Sky Arts' 'The Great Culture Quiz'
After another poor series in Sri Lanka, Alastair Cook claimed all players go through a lean period
cricketEoin Morgan reportedly to take over ODI captaincy
Life and Style
news... you won't believe how bad their skills were

Arts and Entertainment
Mark Wright and Mark Wright
tvStrictly goes head-to-head with Apprentice
footballPremier League preview: All the talking points ahead of this weekend's clashes
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Carlton Senior Appointments: Private Banking Manager - Intl Bank - Los Angeles

    $200 - $350 per annum: Carlton Senior Appointments: Managing Producer – Office...

    Carlton Senior Appointments: San Fran - Investment Advisor – Ind Advisory Firm

    $125 - $225 per annum: Carlton Senior Appointments: San Fran - Investment Advi...

    Sheridan Maine: Commercial Finance Manager

    Up to £70,000 per annum + benefits: Sheridan Maine: Are you a qualified accoun...

    Sheridan Maine: Regulatory Reporting Accountant

    Up to £65,000 per annum + benefits: Sheridan Maine: Are you a qualified accoun...

    Day In a Page

    Homeless Veterans appeal: 'You look for someone who's an inspiration and try to be like them'

    Homeless Veterans appeal

    In 2010, Sgt Gary Jamieson stepped on an IED in Afghanistan and lost his legs and an arm. He reveals what, and who, helped him to make a remarkable recovery
    Could cannabis oil reverse the effects of cancer?

    Could cannabis oil reverse effects of cancer?

    As a film following six patients receiving the controversial treatment is released, Kate Hilpern uncovers a very slippery issue
    The Interview movie review: You can't see Seth Rogen and James Franco's Kim Jong Un assassination film, but you can read about it here

    The Interview movie review

    You can't see Seth Rogen and James Franco's Kim Jong Un assassination film, but you can read about it here
    Serial mania has propelled podcasts into the cultural mainstream

    How podcasts became mainstream

    People have consumed gripping armchair investigation Serial with a relish typically reserved for box-set binges
    Jesus Christ has become an unlikely pin-up for hipster marketing companies

    Jesus Christ has become an unlikely pin-up

    Kevin Lee Light, aka "Jesus", is the newest client of creative agency Mother while rival agency Anomaly has launched Sexy Jesus, depicting the Messiah in a series of Athena-style poses
    Rosetta space mission voted most important scientific breakthrough of 2014

    A memorable year for science – if not for mice

    The most important scientific breakthroughs of 2014
    Christmas cocktails to make you merry: From eggnog to Brown Betty and Rum Bumpo

    Christmas cocktails to make you merry

    Mulled wine is an essential seasonal treat. But now drinkers are rediscovering other traditional festive tipples. Angela Clutton raises a glass to Christmas cocktails
    5 best activity trackers

    Fitness technology: 5 best activity trackers

    Up the ante in your regimen and change the habits of a lifetime with this wearable tech
    Paul Scholes column: It's a little-known fact, but I have played one of the seven dwarves

    Paul Scholes column

    It's a little-known fact, but I have played one of the seven dwarves
    Fifa's travelling circus once again steals limelight from real stars

    Fifa's travelling circus once again steals limelight from real stars

    Club World Cup kicked into the long grass by the continued farce surrounding Blatter, Garcia, Russia and Qatar
    Frank Warren column: 2014 – boxing is back and winning new fans

    Frank Warren: Boxing is back and winning new fans

    2014 proves it's now one of sport's biggest hitters again
    Jeb Bush vs Hillary Clinton: The power dynamics of the two first families

    Jeb Bush vs Hillary Clinton

    Karen Tumulty explores the power dynamics of the two first families
    Stockholm is rivalling Silicon Valley with a hotbed of technology start-ups

    Stockholm is rivalling Silicon Valley

    The Swedish capital is home to two of the most popular video games in the world, as well as thousands of technology start-ups worth hundreds of millions of pounds – and it's all happened since 2009
    Did Japanese workers really get their symbols mixed up and display Santa on a crucifix?

    Crucified Santa: Urban myth refuses to die

    The story goes that Japanese store workers created a life-size effigy of a smiling "Father Kurisumasu" attached to a facsimile of Our Lord's final instrument of torture
    Jennifer Saunders and Kate Moss join David Walliams on set for TV adaptation of The Boy in the Dress

    The Boy in the Dress: On set with the stars

    Walliams' story about a boy who goes to school in a dress will be shown this Christmas