Consumer rights: 'I have got into a mess and a friend has offered me a loan. Who do I pay first?'

A struggling charity adviser is caught between his mortgage and card debts

Q. I have got myself into a real mess financially. I have been finding it difficult for some time to get enough work and have been living off credit cards. I work as a consultant to various charities but the work has been drying up.

We are up to the maximum on our cards and about to miss a mortgage payment. I have applied for benefits but they're in the pipeline.

A friend has offered to lend us some money until the benefit money does come through but I'm so confused I don't know what to do with that money. Do I pay the mortgage or make minimum payments on the cards so that we can keep using them?

DD, West London

A. I can see why you're worried. Strictly speaking your mortgage has to be the priority as your home could eventually be repossessed if you fall behind with payments. The mortgage is a priority debt.

Your credit cards are non-priority debts as the sanctions the lenders can take against you are a lot less severe. Your capacity to get credit in future will be affected if you have a poor payment record on your credit reference agency file and the lenders can take you to court but you should be able to work out a repayment plan before that happens.

Get help before you make any decisions. A money adviser should be able to help you to come to arrangements with your creditors, including the mortgage lender, to pay reduced payments or to defer a few payments while you sort yourself out. It might be that the best way forward is to use the borrowed money for neither of those debts but to live on while you sort out a plan.

It's not easy to sell property in some areas at the minute but if yours is one that's likely to sell quickly you might decide to sell, buy something smaller, pay off the cards and live on the loan until the sale is completed. If that becomes the plan the lender may agree to reduce your mortgage payments in the meantime. Don't panic because there are all sorts of ways in which this can be resolved but you have to stop dithering and act quickly.

Go to your nearest advice agency such as the Citizens Advice Bureau (, call National Debtline 0808 808 4000, and if you have any business debts Business Debtline 0800 197 6026, or search online for "My Money Steps" which will help you work out a budget and give you information and advice on how to proceed.

I am a bit worried about you borrowing more money to clear debts. It is very good of your friend to offer to help you in the short term but unless they're well off problems might arise. Discuss all the possible scenarios before saying yes to that kind offer.

Q. My aunt has just died and as her only surviving relative I've inherited her estate. Since I have sold her house, sorted all her separate accounts and investments and paid of the inheritance tax and probate fees etc, I'm left with a substantial sum of money. Now I have to work out what to do with it.

In the long term I may give some to charity and to friends and invest the rest. But my solicitor has warned me that I shouldn't keep it all in one account while I make my decisions. I know the interest rates are very low and inflation is eating into the real value of the total sum, but I'd rather have that than make rushed decisions which turn out to be wrong. Can you give me any advice?

LJ, Northamptonshire

A. Given the latest inflation figures your money is being eaten away in an ordinary bank account, but I think your solicitor is probably also warning you to put your money into a series of regulated accounts so that it is protected. He means you should split the money up and put chunks into deposit accounts with different financial institutions until you have a plan, rather than risk losing any of it should something go wrong in the financial sector as it did a few years ago. Bear in mind that some financial institutions include several banks or building societies.

If a bank, building society or other "deposit taker" such as a credit union went bust you would be able to claim £85,000 back through the Financial Services Compensation Scheme but you'd be likely to lose anything over that limit.

Mark Neale of the FSCS says: "If you split your money up into deposit accounts with different financial institutions up to £85,000 in each, it will all be safe while you ponder. However you must make sure that you don't choose accounts in banks or building societies which are members of the same financial institution. For example you will only be protected for one £85,000 if you have accounts with both the Halifax and Bank of Scotland because they belong to the same financial institution."

An Independent Financial Adviser will be able to advise on the rules about giving money to relatives and charities, and tax planning. Check

Do you have a consumer complaint?

Write to Julian Knight at The Independent on Sunday, 2 Derry Street, London W8 5HF

Independent Partners; Do you need financial advice on your investments, pension or insurance? Book a free consultation with an independent Financial Adviser at

Finacial products from our partners
Property search
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant

    £20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...

    Ashdown Group: IT Manager / Development Manager - NW London - £58k + 15% bonus

    £50000 - £667000 per annum + excellent benefits : Ashdown Group: IT Manager / ...

    Recruitment Genius: Sales Consultant / Telemarketer - OTE £20,000

    £13000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Scotland's leading life insuran...

    Ashdown Group: Training Programme Manager - City, London

    £40000 - £45000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Training Programme Manag...

    Day In a Page

    Where the spooks get their coffee fix: The busiest Starbucks in the US is also the most secretive

    The secret CIA Starbucks

    The coffee shop is deep inside the agency's forested Virginia compound
    Revealed: How the Establishment closed ranks over fallout from Loch Ness Monster 'sighting'

    How the Establishment closed ranks over fallout from Nessie 'sighting'

    The Natural History Museum's chief scientist was dismissed for declaring he had found the monster
    One million Britons using food banks, according to Trussell Trust

    One million Britons using food banks

    Huge surge in number of families dependent on emergency food aid
    Excavation at Italian cafe to fix rising damp unearths 2,500 years of history in 3,000 amazing objects

    2,500 years of history in 3,000 amazing objects

    Excavation at Italian cafe to fix rising damp unearths trove
    The Hubble Space Telescope's amazing journey, 25 years on

    The Hubble Space Telescope's amazing journey 25 years on

    The space telescope was seen as a costly flop on its first release
    Did Conservative peer Lord Ashcroft quit the House of Lords to become a non-dom?

    Did Lord Ashcroft quit the House of Lords to become a non-dom?

    A document seen by The Independent shows that a week after he resigned from the Lords he sold 350,000 shares in an American company - netting him $11.2m
    Apple's ethnic emojis are being used to make racist comments on social media

    Ethnic emojis used in racist comments

    They were intended to promote harmony, but have achieved the opposite
    Sir Kenneth Branagh interview: 'My bones are in the theatre'

    Sir Kenneth Branagh: 'My bones are in the theatre'

    The actor-turned-director’s new company will stage five plays from October – including works by Shakespeare and John Osborne
    The sloth is now the face (and furry body) of three big advertising campaigns

    The sloth is the face of three ad campaigns

    Priya Elan discovers why slow and sleepy wins the race for brands in need of a new image
    How to run a restaurant: As two newbies discovered, there's more to it than good food

    How to run a restaurant

    As two newbies discovered, there's more to it than good food
    Record Store Day: Remembering an era when buying and selling discs were labours of love

    Record Store Day: The vinyl countdown

    For Lois Pryce, working in a record shop was a dream job - until the bean counters ruined it
    Usher, Mary J Blige and to give free concert as part of the Global Poverty Project

    Mary J Blige and to give free concert

    The concert in Washington is part of the Global Citizen project, which aims to encourage young people to donate to charity
    10 best tote bags

    Accessorise with a stylish shopper this spring: 10 best tote bags

    We find carriers with room for all your essentials (and a bit more)
    Paul Scholes column: I hear Manchester City are closing on Pep Guardiola for next summer – but I'd also love to see Jürgen Klopp managing in England

    Paul Scholes column

    I hear Manchester City are closing on Pep Guardiola for next summer – but I'd also love to see Jürgen Klopp managing in England
    Jessica Ennis-Hill: 'I just want to give it my best shot'

    Jessica Ennis-Hill: 'I just want to give it my best shot'

    The heptathlete has gone from the toast of the nation to being a sleep-deprived mum - but she’s ready to compete again. She just doesn't know how well she'll do...