Consumer Rights: Most of us depend on it, but what do we know about the rules of credit?

Lending is ubiquitous and takes many forms, but ensure that you are aware of your rights before signing up

Where would we be without credit? Most of us wouldn't own homes, we would probably be driving old bangers and our clothes might be in tatters. But there's always a price to pay. That price is the interest, plus various fees and charges imposed by the lender. It all adds up to APR (Annual Percentage Rate). The higher the APR the more we pay back.

Most credit and hire agreements are regulated by the Consumer Credit Act. This gives you important rights, although mortgages are exempt as are agreements to hire gas, electricity or water meters or loans from your employer or a credit union.

If your agreement is regulated you'll be asked to sign a copy. The lender must give you a copy to keep, setting out what type of credit agreement it is, the APR, the payment amounts, when it is due, and how it is made up (loan, interest, administration charge). It must also include your right to cancel and the terms should you want to pay it off early.

You can cancel most credit agreements, apart from mortgages, overdrafts and some loans under £50, within 14 days of signing. If you do cancel you need to return any money given in advance and pay for goods already installed. If you bought goods and cancel the agreement, you'll have to pay for them in another way or return them. If you've paid a deposit or a part-payment you should get that money back. You must tell the lender that you are cancelling. Put that "notice" in writing and keep a copy.

Hire purchase (HP) and conditional sale agreements are common forms of credit. Under HP you buy the goods and pay an agreed amount by instalments. You don't own the goods until you have paid in full. You can end a hire purchase or conditional sale agreement in writing and return the goods at any time which means you can stop making the payments. But, if you end the agreement before you've paid half of the total the lender is entitled to ask for the rest of the money.

If your credit-bought goods develop a fault or turn up damaged or not at all, you can take action to get your money back from the trader or the finance company. But keep making the payments, stopping in protest could affect your ability to get credit in future. If you can't sort your problem out directly get advice.

There are occasions when you'll be glad you used credit. If you buy something costing more than £100 and less than £30,000 with a credit card and something goes wrong, but you can't trace the seller, they refuse to help, or they've gone bust you can claim from the credit card company. Credit can pay.


Q: I had an accident 18 months ago and was in hospital until last October. I now get employment support and disability living allowances. I've been trying to get a winter fuel payment as I was told I'm entitled to it, but neither the Job Centre nor the local council can help. Can you give me any advice?

PK, Hull

A: If you're eligible for the winter fuel payment you could get between £100 and £300. As you've been told you're eligible you must have been born on or before 5 July 1951. To be eligible you must have been getting state pension or another social security benefit such as Income Support in the qualifying week – for this year this was 17 to 23 September 2012.

Payments to people who qualify should be automatic, usually in November and December. However there are some exceptions. You don't qualify if during the qualifying week you were in hospital and had been getting free treatment for more than 52 weeks, which is where you may be affected. To double check call the Winter Fuel Payments helpline on 08459 151515.

Life and Style
LifeReddit asked a simple question with infinite answers this week
Life and Style
Pepper, the 3ft 11in shiny box of circuits who can tell jokes and respond to human emotions
techDavid McNeill tests the mettle of one of the new generation of androids being developed in Tokyo
Life and Style
Arts and Entertainment
Armando Iannucci, the creator of 'The Thick of It' says he has
tvArmando Iannucci to concentrate on US show Veep
Luis Suarez looks towards the crowd during the 2-1 victory over England
German supporters (left) and Argentina fans
world cup 2014Final gives England fans a choice between to old enemies
Arts and Entertainment
A still from the worldwide Dawn of the Planet of the Apes trailer debut
peopleMario Balotelli poses with 'shotgun' in controversial Instagram pic
A mugshot of Ian Watkins released by South Wales Police following his guilty pleas
peopleBandmates open up about abuse
Basketball superstar LeBron James gets into his stride for the Cleveland Cavaliers
sportNBA superstar announces decision to return to Cleveland Cavaliers
Javier Mascherano of Argentina tackles Arjen Robben of the Netherlands as he attempts a shot
world cup 2014
Arts and Entertainment
The successful ITV drama Broadchurch starring David Tenant and Olivia Coleman came to an end tonight
Four ski officials in Slovenia have been suspended following allegations of results rigging
sportFour Slovenian officials suspended after allegations they helped violinist get slalom place
14 March 2011: George Clooney testifies before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee during a hearing titled 'Sudan and South Sudan: Independence and Insecurity.' Clooney is co-founder of the Satellite Sentinel Project which uses private satellites to collect evidence of crimes against civilian populations in Sudan
Arts and Entertainment
Balaban is indirectly responsible for the existence of Downton Abbey, having first discovered Julian Fellowes' talents as a screenwriter
tvCast members told to lose weight after snacking on set
Life and Style
More than half of young adults have engaged in 'unwanted but consensual sexting with a committed partner,' according to research
Life and Style
A binge is classed as four or more alcoholic drinks for women and five or more for men, consumed over a roughly two-hour period
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business


    £50000 - £70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Business Analyst Consultant (Fina...

    Programme Support, Coms, Bristol, £300-350p/d

    £300 - £350 per day + competitive: Orgtel: My client, a leading bank, is curre...

    (Junior) IT Systems Administrator / Infrastructure Analyst

    £28000 - £32000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly ...

    Finance Officer

    Negotiable: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education are seeking a Fi...

    Day In a Page

    A History of the First World War in 100 Moments: Peace without magnanimity - the summit in a railway siding that ended the fighting

    A History of the First World War in 100 Moments

    Peace without magnanimity - the summit in a railway siding that ended the fighting
    Scottish independence: How the Commonwealth Games could swing the vote

    Scottish independence: How the Commonwealth Games could swing the vote

    In the final part of our series, Chris Green arrives in Glasgow - a host city struggling to keep the politics out of its celebration of sport
    Out in the cold: A writer spends a night on the streets and hears the stories of the homeless

    A writer spends a night on the streets

    Rough sleepers - the homeless, the destitute and the drunk - exist in every city. Will Nicoll meets those whose luck has run out
    Striking new stations, high-speed links and (whisper it) better services - the UK's railways are entering a new golden age

    UK's railways are entering a new golden age

    New stations are opening across the country and our railways appear to be entering an era not seen in Britain since the early 1950s
    Conchita Wurst becomes a 'bride' on the Paris catwalk - and proves there is life after Eurovision

    Conchita becomes a 'bride' on Paris catwalk

    Alexander Fury salutes the Eurovision Song Contest winner's latest triumph
    Pétanque World Championship in Marseilles hit by

    Pétanque 'world cup' hit by death threats

    This year's most acrimonious sporting event took place in France, not Brazil. How did pétanque get so passionate?
    Whelks are healthy, versatile and sustainable - so why did we stop eating them in the UK?

    Why did we stop eating whelks?

    Whelks were the Victorian equivalent of the donor kebab and our stocks are abundant. So why do we now export them all to the Far East?
    10 best women's sunglasses

    In the shade: 10 best women's sunglasses

    From luxury bespoke eyewear to fun festival sunnies, we round up the shades to be seen in this summer
    Germany vs Argentina World Cup 2014: Lionel Messi? Javier Mascherano is key for Argentina...

    World Cup final: Messi? Mascherano is key for Argentina...

    No 10 is always centre of attention but Barça team-mate is just as crucial to finalists’ hopes
    Siobhan-Marie O’Connor: Swimmer knows she needs Glasgow joy on road to Rio

    Siobhan-Marie O’Connor: Swimmer needs Glasgow joy on road to Rio

    18-year-old says this month’s Commonwealth Games are a key staging post in her career before time slips away
    The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week

    The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week

    A future Palestine state will have no borders and be an enclave within Israel, surrounded on all sides by Israeli-held territory, says Robert Fisk
    A History of the First World War in 100 Moments: The German people demand an end to the fighting

    A History of the First World War in 100 Moments

    The German people demand an end to the fighting
    New play by Oscar Wilde's grandson reveals what the Irish wit said at his trials

    New play reveals what Oscar Wilde said at trials

    For a century, what Wilde actually said at his trials was a mystery. But the recent discovery of shorthand notes changed that. Now his grandson Merlin Holland has turned them into a play
    Can scientists save the world's sea life from

    Can scientists save our sea life?

    By the end of the century, the only living things left in our oceans could be plankton and jellyfish. Alex Renton meets the scientists who are trying to turn the tide
    Richard III, Trafalgar Studios, review: Martin Freeman gives highly intelligent performance

    Richard III review

    Martin Freeman’s psychotic monarch is big on mockery but wanting in malice