Consumer Rights: 'My mum's bosses won't release her final pay packet'

A bereaved child must gather evidence he's entitled to his mother's wage and employing a tenant

Q: My mother died recently and I sorted out her very small estate. There was no will, my father is dead and I don't have any siblings. She had less than £5,000 in her bank account, so after I'd paid her bills I closed it and was given the remaining money being her next of kin. All I needed was the death certificate.

All was fine until I realised she had some wages owing to her. But her company won't pay. The HR department says their rules only allow them to pay directly into her account, and they can't pay me. It's not a huge sum but it would help as I've had quite a bit of unexpected expense as a result of her death. I can't reopen the account, so what am I to do?

DJ, Exeter

A: This seems unnecessarily bureaucratic and rather insensitive. There is no legal reason why the company can't pay you, so it's own internal rules must be the stumbling block.

It's likely they require someone to see documentary proof that you are the person authorised to deal with your mother's estate. This includes the authority to collect any outstanding money. A Grant of Probate or Grant of Letters of Administration (Grant of Confirmation in Scotland) is usually required before you can sort out someone's estate unless it's small.

A Grant of Probate is given by the Probate Registry (Sheriff's Court in Scotland) to the executor or executors of a will. Where there's no will, the next of kin or someone else close to the deceased can apply to the Probate Registry for Letters of Administration instead. These give you the authority to deal with the dead person's assets or estate – any money, property or other possessions. You can also use them to prove to anyone who asks for proof that you have that authority.

Where there is no will, there are very clear rules about who should inherit from the estate, how much and in what order family members inherit. In your case, because the amounts are small and it sounds like you are her closest relative, it would all go to you after bills and debts are cleared. There's more information at

If the employer won't play ball, clarify exactly what they do need in terms of documentation. You will have to apply to your nearest Probate Registry for the Letters of Administration.

If you get stuck or the employer is still unhelpful, ask someone at your nearest free advice centre such as the Citizens Advice Bureau to help. You don't want to spend too much money on legal advice when the amount outstanding is so small.


Q: I am on the board of an organisation that wants, coincidentally, to employ someone who is a tenant in one of our flats. The work is not related to the property. The managing director has been told if we give her the job, we will have to pay her wages and rent. I have done some research and I think we only have to pay the National Minimum Wage (unless we want to be more generous).

I can't see why it should cost more to employ someone who happens to live in a flat that the prospective employer owns. The MD thinks I'm wrong?

WS, Newcastle

A: If an employer and employee agree to a contract which says wages will be paid at a certain rate with some rent covered, that's up to them. Otherwise, the National Minimum Wage (NMW) applies. Under that legislation, and what I think your MD is referring to, there is an "accommodation offset".

If an employer provides a home, he can only count some of its value towards pay. This is called the accommodation offset. The employer can't count more than the accommodation offset rate that is in force – currently £4.73 a day. I called the Pay and Work Rights Helpline on 0800 917 2368 for clarification. The adviser said that as soon as landlord becomes employer the offset applies so, in effect, you would only be able to charge the £33.11 a week rent.

While you would lose rent by hiring a tenant, I'm sure you will want the best person for the job.

Independent Partners; request a free guide on NISAs from Hargreaves Lansdown

More than 90 years of car history are coming to an end with the abolition of the paper car-tax disc
newsThis and other facts you never knew about the paper circle - completely obsolete tomorrow
Arts and Entertainment
Gay and OK: a scene from 'Pride'
filmsUS film censors have ruled 'Pride' unfit for under-16s, though it contains no sex or violence
people'I’d rather have Fred and Rose West quote my characters on childcare'
Arts and Entertainment
Hilary North's 'How My Life Has Changed', 2001
booksWell it was good enough for Ancient Egyptians and Picasso...
Life and Style
Magic roundabouts: the gyratory system that has excited enthusiasts in Swindon
motoringJust who are the Roundabout Appreciation Society?
footballManchester City 1 Roma 1: Result leaves Premier League champions in danger of not progressing
Life and Style
The new Windows 10 Start Menu
Bruce Chatwin's novel 'On the Black Hill' was set at The Vision Farm
travelOne of the finest one-day walks you could hope for - in Britain
Kim Jong Un gives field guidance during his inspection of the Korean People's Army (KPA) Naval Unit 167
newsSouth Korean reports suggest rumours of a coup were unfounded
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Trainee Recruitment Consultant - Birmingham - Real Staffing

    £18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Real Staffing are currently lo...

    Trust Accountant - Kent

    NEGOTIABLE: Austen Lloyd: TRUST ACCOUNTANT - KENTIf you are a Chartered Accou...

    Graduate Recruitment Consultant - 2013/14 Grads - No Exp Needed

    £18000 - £20000 per annum + OTE £30000: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 b...

    Law Costs

    Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - Law Costs Draftsperson - NICHE...

    Day In a Page

    Pride: Are censors pandering to homophobia?

    Are censors pandering to homophobia?

    US film censors have ruled 'Pride' unfit for under-16s, though it contains no sex or violence
    The magic of roundabouts

    Lords of the rings

    Just who are the Roundabout Appreciation Society?
    Why do we like making lists?

    Notes to self: Why do we like making lists?

    Well it was good enough for Ancient Egyptians and Picasso...
    Hong Kong protests: A good time to open a new restaurant?

    A good time to open a new restaurant in Hong Kong?

    As pro-democracy demonstrators hold firm, chef Rowley Leigh, who's in the city to open a new restaurant, says you couldn't hope to meet a nicer bunch
    10 best children's nightwear

    10 best children's nightwear

    Make sure the kids stay cosy on cooler autumn nights in this selection of pjs, onesies and nighties
    Manchester City vs Roma: Five things we learnt from City’s draw at the Etihad

    Manchester City vs Roma

    Five things we learnt from City’s Champions League draw at the Etihad
    Martin Hardy: Mike Ashley must act now and end the Alan Pardew reign

    Trouble on the Tyne

    Ashley must act now and end Pardew's reign at Newcastle, says Martin Hardy
    Isis is an hour from Baghdad, the Iraq army has little chance against it, and air strikes won't help

    Isis an hour away from Baghdad -

    and with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
    Turner Prize 2014 is frustratingly timid

    Turner Prize 2014 is frustratingly timid

    The exhibition nods to rich and potentially brilliant ideas, but steps back
    Last chance to see: Half the world’s animals have disappeared over the last 40 years

    Last chance to see...

    The Earth’s animal wildlife population has halved in 40 years
    So here's why teenagers are always grumpy - and it's not what you think

    Truth behind teens' grumpiness

    Early school hours mess with their biological clocks
    Why can no one stop hackers putting celebrities' private photos online?

    Hacked photos: the third wave

    Why can no one stop hackers putting celebrities' private photos online?
    Royal Ballet star dubbed 'Charlize Theron in pointe shoes' takes on Manon

    Homegrown ballerina is on the rise

    Royal Ballet star Melissa Hamilton is about to tackle the role of Manon
    Education, eduction, education? Our growing fascination with what really goes on in school

    Education, education, education

    TV documentaries filmed in classrooms are now a genre in their own right
    It’s reasonable to negotiate with the likes of Isis, so why don’t we do it and save lives?

    It’s perfectly reasonable to negotiate with villains like Isis

    So why don’t we do it and save some lives?