Consumer rights: 'Will I pay two lots of tax if I work in New Zealand for a UK company?'

A guide through complex international taxation / Dealing with the consequences of an inept neighbour's DIY

Q. I am going home to live in New Zealand after five years here in the UK.

My current boss doesn't want to lose me, which is flattering, and has suggested that I work for her in New Zealand. That's not a problem as the work is web-based so I can do it anywhere and at anytime. But where will I stand as far as tax is concerned? I'm worried that I will have to pay tax in New Zealand but also in the UK. Can you advise please?



A. It is not unusual for someone who is resident in one country to earn money in another. Some people may have to pay tax on that gain locally and pay again in the country in which the gain was made. But because that's somewhat unfair, many countries make bilateral double taxation agreements with each other in which tax is paid in the country of residence and not in the country in which it arises. New Zealand has a double taxation agreement with Britain, so you'll only pay tax once.

Under UK tax law if you work overseas for a British employer, the tax you pay depends on where your employer is based, where you work and whether you are "resident", "ordinarily resident" or "domiciled" in the UK. The rules are a bit too long to go into in detail, but as you won't be resident in the UK you'll pay tax on your earnings in New Zealand. Independent financial adviser Simon Hodge says "speak to HMRC or the NZ equivalent and confirm that you are being paid by a UK-based company and the level of income you are receiving. The two tax offices will liaise to make sure you are only taxed once". You can read all the rules on the HMRC website

Q. My next door neighbour is a DIY enthusiast. That's not to say that he's good at DIY. His latest venture resulted in a hole in my bathroom wall. Unfortunately he drilled through a water pipe too. Luckily this is a spare bathroom but it's a wet mess of plaster dust and broken tiles and the water has been turned off because of the hole in the pipe. All the tiles will have to be renewed as I can't get any to match.

I want my neighbour to put right at his expense, by a proper builder, plumber and tiler. He says he will do the work – which is the last thing I want – and that if I want other tradesman in I can claim for it on my insurance. I don't see why I should have to do that. I want to get the bathroom functioning again as soon as possible and he refuses to tell me the details of his insurance company so I can get mine to settle the claim with his. So far I've managed not to lose my temper but I'm close to it and don't want an ongoing neighbour dispute. Where do I stand?



A. If it's any consolation, this isn't a one off. We spend millions every year putting right DIY disasters. You have every right to have the damage made good by your neighbour if he caused the problem. You do have to be reasonable though. You can't have your whole bathroom retiled with hand-made Italian tiles if it had bog standard tiles to start with, but it should be put back to the state it was in before this unfortunate escapade.

I wonder whether your neighbour is holding back because he doesn't have any insurance against which he can claim and is worried about the cost. You could contact your insurance company and give them the details of the damage and the incident and leave it to them to sort it out with your neighbour. The insurance company will probably want three quotes and then will give you the go ahead to get the work done. You'll probably have an excess on your policy and if the job isn't very big in financial terms it may be that you have to pay it all. If your insurance won't pay, or won't pay enough to cover the work, or won't pay anything because of the excess, you will have to chase your neighbour for the money or lose it.

Take photos of the bathroom. Get quotes for the repairs. Talk to your neighbour about how it should be resolved. Negotiate a settlement if at all possible. If you get no satisfaction from your neighbour or your insurers you will have to decide whether or not to pursue your claim through the small claims procedure in the county court. You will have to prove that your neighbour did cause the damage but he doesn't seem to be denying it and with the photos you should have most of the proof you need. Although you can make your claim in court without a solicitor, a solicitor's letter might be all that's needed to get a response and resolve the matter.

The bigger issue is your long-term relationship with your neighbour. You're right not to want this to become an ongoing dispute. Stay calm and try to resolve this amicably. Be very slow to go to court. People have had to sell up over less.

Independent Partners; Do you need financial advice on your investments, pension or insurance? Book a free consultation with an independent Financial Adviser at

Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Recruitment Genius: Digital Optimisation Executive - Marketing

    £30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's fastest growing, multi...

    Recruitment Genius: Financial Reporting Manager

    £70000 - £90000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Financial Reporting Manager i...

    Recruitment Genius: Payments Operations Assistant

    £23000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They win lots of awards for the...

    Recruitment Genius: Telephone Debt Negotiator

    £13500 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This nationwide enforcement com...

    Day In a Page

    Syria civil war: Meet the military commander who says his soldiers will not rest until every inch of their war torn country is free of Islamist 'terrorists'

    ‘We won’t stop until Syria is back to normal’

    Near the front lines with Islamist-controlled towns where Assad’s troops were besieged just last month, Robert Fisk meets a commander confidently preparing his soldiers for battle
    Fifa corruption: Strip Qatar of the World Cup? Not likely

    Strip Qatar of the World Cup? Not likely

    But if a real smoking gun is found, that might change things, says Tom Peck
    Twenty two years later Jurassic Park series faces questions over accuracy of the fictional dinosaurs in it

    Tyrannosaurus wrecked?

    Twenty two years on, Jurassic Park faces questions over accuracy
    The inside story of how Bill Clinton built a $2bn global foundation may undermine Hillary's chances

    The inside story of how Bill Clinton built a $2bn global foundation...

    ... and how it may undermine Hillary's chances in 2016
    Genes greatly influence when and how many babies a woman will have, study finds

    Mother’s genes play key role in decision to start a family

    Study's findings suggest that human fertility is still evolving
    12 best olive oils

    Extra-virgin, cold-press, early-harvest, ultra-premium: 12 best olive oils

    Choosing an olive oil is a surprising minefield. Save yourself the hassle with our handy guide
    Rafa Benitez Real Madrid unveiling: New manager full of emotion at Bernabeu homecoming

    Benitez full of emotion at Bernabeu homecoming

    There were tears in the former Liverpool manager’s eyes as he was unveiled as Real Madrid coach. But the Spaniard knows he must make tough decisions if he is to succeed
    England can win the Ashes – and Elvis Presley will present the urn

    England can win the Ashes – and Elvis will present the urn

    In their last five Test, they have lost two and drawn two and defeated an India side last summer who thought that turning up was competing, says Stephen Brenkley
    Sepp Blatter resignation: The beginning of Fifa's long road to reform?

    Does Blatter's departure mean Fifa will automatically clean up its act?

    Don't bet on it, says Tom Peck
    Charles Kennedy: The baby of the House who grew into a Lib Dem giant

    The baby of the House who grew into a Lib Dem giant

    Charles Kennedy was consistently a man of the centre-left, dedicated to social justice, but was also a champion of liberty and an opponent of the nanny-state, says Baroness Williams
    Syria civil war: The harrowing testament of a five-year-old victim of this endless conflict

    The harrowing testament of a five-year-old victim of Syria's endless civil war

    Sahar Qanbar lost her mother and brother as civilians and government soldiers fought side by side after being surrounded by brutal Islamist fighters. Robert Fisk visited her
    The future of songwriting: How streaming is changing everything we know about making music

    The future of songwriting

    How streaming is changing everything we know about making music
    William Shemin and Henry Johnson: Jewish and black soldiers receive World War I Medal of Honor amid claims of discrimination

    Recognition at long last

    Jewish and black soldiers who fought in WWI finally receive medals after claims of discrimination
    Beating obesity: The new pacemaker which helps over-eaters

    Beating obesity

    The new pacemaker which helps over-eaters
    9 best women's festival waterproofs

    Ready for rain: 9 best women's festival waterproofs

    These are the macs to keep your denim dry and your hair frizz-free(ish)