Consumer Rights: With due care, Britons can avoid the same plight as the Cypriots

The plan for the Nicosia government to seize its citizens' money should act as a spur to check all your cash is fully protected

The panic seen on the streets of Nicosia over plans to seize the savings of ordinary Cypriots has provided a wake-up call to all savers, even in the UK.

For the vast majority of British savers and investors there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Your money is protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). However, there are some people who should check to make sure they're money is fully protected.

If you don't want to take any risks only deal with financial firms which are regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) soon to become the Financial Conduct Authority. The FSA is the regulator responsible for giving licences to the banks, building societies and credit unions as well as investment or insurance companies.

Use the FSA website to check that firms are authorised. If you have money in an unauthorised organisation it could be at risk because it doesn't come under the protective wing of the FSCS.

Check how much of your savings or deposit will be protected. The first £85,000 in a deposit account in a bank, building society or credit union is completely protected and you will automatically get it back through the compensation scheme if the organisation goes bust.

If you have a joint account £170,000 is protected. Under this rule, 98 per cent of UK savers are fully protected. However, if you are lucky enough to have more money on deposit play safe by opening another account with a different financial institution. Each account will when be protected up to a limit of £85,000 (£170,000 in a joint account).

Check to make sure that your various deposit accounts are in financial institutions with separate FSA authorisations. Organisations may have different names but be part of the same financial institution. For example Yorkshire and Chelsea building societies are part of an institution with one FSA Authorisation so if you have accounts in both you are only covered for one lot of £85,000 (or, again, £170,000 in a joint account.)

The same applies to accounts held in Lloyds TSB and Cheltenham and Gloucester. You will find details of the banks and building societies that share FSA authorisations on the website compensation/brands).

Sometimes people who usually have much less than £85,000 in a deposit account go over the limit. If you sell your home you might have more in your account for a while before you buy your new home. If you're left some money in a legacy you might go over the limit.

If you're lucky enough to win £1m on the premium bonds, split up the money between several different accounts to a maximum of £85,000 in each, until you decide how to invest your winnings. If you won £41m on the Lottery, like one couple last year, you'd need 240 joint accounts to spread your money safely around.

As far as Cyprus is concerned unless you have a lot of money in a bank in Cyprus you have nothing to worry about. There are two Cypriot banks operating in the UK. The Bank of Cyprus is a UK authorised subsidiary and so the UK compensation rules (up to £85,000) apply to your deposits.

Laiki Bank UK, is a branch of a Cypriot bank that is operating in UK under EU rules.


Q: I'm married and have a child. My uncle sadly died recently and left me a sum of money. I assumed that if I die my husband would get everything. The house and all our savings are in both our names. However, a friend told me that isn't the case and that some could go to the government.

If I make a will can I make sure that doesn't happen?

SJ, Milton Keynes

A: For peace of mind it is best to make a will and talk to an accountant about inheritance tax. With or without a will your husband would keep the house and the money in the joint accounts as they are in his name. The same would apply to you if he dies.

If you die intestate – without a will – and are married (or in a Civil Partnership) with a child, your husband will inherit all your personal property and the first £250,000 of your estate. Half the remaining estate will go to your child, and your husband will have a life interest on the rest. This means he can't spend it but he can use the interest from it. When he dies that capital will pass to your child.

A will allows you to clearly state how you want your estate divided. You can create a DIY will, but if you want to leave money for your child when he turns 18, say, there may be inheritance tax to consider so you should use a solicitor.

Independent Partners; Do you need financial advice on your investments, pension or insurance? Book a free consultation with an independent Financial Adviser at

Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Recruitment Genius: Customer Service Advisor

    £15000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer Service Advisors are r...

    SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant

    £20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: SThree were established in 1986....

    Recruitment Genius: Compliance Manager

    £40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Compliance Manager is require...

    SThree: Talent Acquisition Consultant

    £22500 - £27000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: Since our inception in 1986, STh...

    Day In a Page

    John Palmer: 'Goldfinger' of British crime was murdered, say police

    Murder of the Brink’s-MAT mastermind

    'Goldfinger' of British crime's life ended in a blaze of bullets, say police
    Forget little green men - aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert

    Forget little green men

    Leading evolutionary biologist says aliens will look like humans
    The Real Stories of Migrant Britain: An Algerian scientist adjusts to life working in a kebab shop

    The Real Stories of Migrant Britain

    An Algerian scientist struggles to adjust to her new life working in a Scottish kebab shop
    Bodyworlds museum: Dr Gunther von Hagens has battled legal threats, Parkinson's disease, and the threat of bankruptcy

    Dying dream of Doctor Death

    Dr Gunther von Hagens has battled legal threats, Parkinson's disease, and the threat of bankruptcy
    UK heatwave: Temperature reaches 39.8 degrees on Central Line - the sweatiest place in London

    39.8 degrees recorded on Tube

    There's hot (London) and too damn hot (the Underground). Simon Usborne braved the Central line to discover what its passengers suffer
    Kitchens go hi-tech: From robot chefs to recipe-shopping apps, computerised cooking is coming

    Computerised cooking is coming

    From apps that automatically make shopping lists from your recipe books to smart ovens and robot chefs, Kevin Maney rounds up innovations to make your mouth water
    Jessie Cave interview: The Harry Potter star has published a feminist collection of cartoons

    Jessie Cave's feminist cartoons

    The Harry Potter star tells Alice Jones how a one-night stand changed her life
    Football Beyond Borders: Even the most distruptive pupils score at homework club

    Education: Football Beyond Borders

    Add football to an after-school homework club, and even the naughtiest boys can score
    10 best barbecue books

    Fire up the barbie: 10 best barbecue books

    We've got Bibles to get you grilling and smoking like a true south American pro
    Wimbledon 2015: Nick Bollettieri - Junk balls and chop and slice are only way 5ft 1in Kurumi Nara can live with Petra Kvitova’s power

    Nick Bollettieri's Wimbledon Files

    Junk balls and chop and slice are only way 5ft 1in Kurumi Nara can live with Petra Kvitova’s power
    Ron Dennis exclusive: ‘This is one of the best McLaren teams ever – we are going to do it’

    ‘This is one of the best McLaren teams ever – we are going to do it’

    Ron Dennis shrugs off a poor start to the season in an exclusive interview, and says the glory days will come back
    Seifeddine Rezgui: What motivated a shy student to kill 38 holidaymakers in Tunisia?

    Making of a killer

    What motivated a shy student to kill 38 holidaymakers in Tunisia?
    UK Heatwave: Temperatures on the tube are going to exceed the legal limit for transporting cattle

    Just when you thought your commute couldn't get any worse...

    Heatwave will see temperatures on the Tube exceed legal limit for transporting cattle
    Exclusive - The Real Stories of Migrant Britain: Swapping Bucharest for London

    The Real Stories of Migrant Britain

    Meet the man who swapped Romania for the UK in a bid to provide for his family, only to discover that the home he left behind wasn't quite what it seemed
    Cheaper energy on the way, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows

    Cheaper energy on the way, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows

    Solar power will help bring down electricity prices over the next five years, according to a new report. But it’s cheap imports of ‘dirty power’ that will lower them the most