Get a share of the action

Should you invest a lump sum or drip cash in, buy direct or buy advice? And what about PEPs? By Tony Bonsignore

The investment trust industry has had a rough ride in recent years. While unit trusts have seen their popularity rocket, investment trusts have been dismissed as too complex. At the same time, their performance has also been sometimes unjustly slated.

All of which is rather unfair. Investment trusts remain an excellent investment choice for many people, with the average, long-term investment trust performance better than an average unit trust's. And investment trust groups have worked hard to entice private investors into buying their shares.

If you have a lump sum to invest, then it is easiest to buy directly. Many trusts, however, have a wide variety of different shares on offer, from ordinary shares to those which will not pay out a dividend but may reward you with more capital growth. Your stockbroker or financial adviser should be able to help you through the maze.

You can consider using your personal equity plan (PEP) allowance to buy into investment trusts. This allows you to invest up to pounds 6,000 before next April, and any gains you make will be free of income and capital gains tax. Investors are allowed one PEP plan each year and a large proportion of investment trusts qualify. To check, contact an individual manager directly or call the Association of Investment Trust Companies (0171-431 5222). The AITC produces a monthly guide, with details of the investment trusts available, as well as a number of factsheets.

Investment trust PEPs are available from as little as pounds 500. You can add more money later, subject to the pounds 6,000 limit and up to a quarter of the total can be put into non-qualifying trusts - those companies which do not invest European stocks. Again, your plan manager will be able to tell you what is on offer.

PEP investors have also been boosted by the news that any investments made before April 1999 will be allowed to continue when PEPs are then replaced by individual savings accounts (ISAs). Investment trust ISAs, meanwhile, should start appearing next spring.

Alternatively, you can invest in a savings and investment scheme from as little as pounds 25 a month. Some groups offer regular-savings plans, some have designed them for PEPs, while a few offer personal pensions.

With these schemes, you decide how much to invest each month and pay this to your plan manager via a standing order or direct debit. Most allow you to increase or decrease your contributions each month without penalty. The majority will also let you invest the occasional lump sum or even stop paying your contributions for a while.

Regular savings plans have a number of benefits. Feeding your money in bit by bit means your cash would be not be hit as hard as it would be if the market crashed immediately after you invested a large lump sum. It also means you buy shares "cheaply" as prices fall, which will be worth a lot more if they rise later on.

A number of other options are available. Some groups offer a share exchange facility, where the company will switch your other investments into investment trust shares. Others allow you to swap at minimal cost between different trusts in the group. Again, the AITC can provide full details.

Investors must also decide how they want to buy their investments. Some choose to buy direct from the investment trust itself. This can the cheapest way, but cost is only part of the story. A saving of, say, 1 per cent is irrelevant if your particular trust is a poor performer. It is worth checking out the manager before you go down this route.

The other option is to seek advice. A good stock broker or independent financial adviser will be able to recommend a suitable trust, as well as helping you with your overall financial planning. Of course, you will have to pay for the advice but it is often worth the investment in later years. IFA Promotion (0117 971 1177) can provide you with a list of independent advisers in your area.

Tony Bonsignore writes for `Financial Adviser'.

Independent Partners; Do you need financial advice on your investments, pension or insurance? Book a free consultation with an independent Financial Adviser at

Finacial products from our partners
Property search
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant

    £20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...

    Ashdown Group: IT Manager / Development Manager - NW London - £58k + 15% bonus

    £50000 - £667000 per annum + excellent benefits : Ashdown Group: IT Manager / ...

    Recruitment Genius: Sales Consultant / Telemarketer - OTE £20,000

    £13000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Scotland's leading life insuran...

    Ashdown Group: Training Programme Manager - City, London

    £40000 - £45000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Training Programme Manag...

    Day In a Page

    Where the spooks get their coffee fix: The busiest Starbucks in the US is also the most secretive

    The secret CIA Starbucks

    The coffee shop is deep inside the agency's forested Virginia compound
    Revealed: How the Establishment closed ranks over fallout from Loch Ness Monster 'sighting'

    How the Establishment closed ranks over fallout from Nessie 'sighting'

    The Natural History Museum's chief scientist was dismissed for declaring he had found the monster
    One million Britons using food banks, according to Trussell Trust

    One million Britons using food banks

    Huge surge in number of families dependent on emergency food aid
    Excavation at Italian cafe to fix rising damp unearths 2,500 years of history in 3,000 amazing objects

    2,500 years of history in 3,000 amazing objects

    Excavation at Italian cafe to fix rising damp unearths trove
    The Hubble Space Telescope's amazing journey, 25 years on

    The Hubble Space Telescope's amazing journey 25 years on

    The space telescope was seen as a costly flop on its first release
    Did Conservative peer Lord Ashcroft quit the House of Lords to become a non-dom?

    Did Lord Ashcroft quit the House of Lords to become a non-dom?

    A document seen by The Independent shows that a week after he resigned from the Lords he sold 350,000 shares in an American company - netting him $11.2m
    Apple's ethnic emojis are being used to make racist comments on social media

    Ethnic emojis used in racist comments

    They were intended to promote harmony, but have achieved the opposite
    Sir Kenneth Branagh interview: 'My bones are in the theatre'

    Sir Kenneth Branagh: 'My bones are in the theatre'

    The actor-turned-director’s new company will stage five plays from October – including works by Shakespeare and John Osborne
    The sloth is now the face (and furry body) of three big advertising campaigns

    The sloth is the face of three ad campaigns

    Priya Elan discovers why slow and sleepy wins the race for brands in need of a new image
    How to run a restaurant: As two newbies discovered, there's more to it than good food

    How to run a restaurant

    As two newbies discovered, there's more to it than good food
    Record Store Day: Remembering an era when buying and selling discs were labours of love

    Record Store Day: The vinyl countdown

    For Lois Pryce, working in a record shop was a dream job - until the bean counters ruined it
    Usher, Mary J Blige and to give free concert as part of the Global Poverty Project

    Mary J Blige and to give free concert

    The concert in Washington is part of the Global Citizen project, which aims to encourage young people to donate to charity
    10 best tote bags

    Accessorise with a stylish shopper this spring: 10 best tote bags

    We find carriers with room for all your essentials (and a bit more)
    Paul Scholes column: I hear Manchester City are closing on Pep Guardiola for next summer – but I'd also love to see Jürgen Klopp managing in England

    Paul Scholes column

    I hear Manchester City are closing on Pep Guardiola for next summer – but I'd also love to see Jürgen Klopp managing in England
    Jessica Ennis-Hill: 'I just want to give it my best shot'

    Jessica Ennis-Hill: 'I just want to give it my best shot'

    The heptathlete has gone from the toast of the nation to being a sleep-deprived mum - but she’s ready to compete again. She just doesn't know how well she'll do...