Two jobs, double the duty

As more people find a second source of revenue, John Andrew warns of the financial obligations

IN A WORLD of high unemployment, more people than ever have more than one job. The number of second jobs held in the UK last winter was 1,184,000, a 9.3 per cent increase since the previous winter, involving nearly 5 per cent of the working population. Almost three-quarters of them are employees who either have two jobs, typically a day job and one on evenings or weekends, or combine a regular job with a freelance one. The rest are classed as self-employed, but take employment occasionally.

Charles Handy, the management guru, calls individuals who earn a livelihood from more than one job "portfolio people". Necessity rather than choice or greed has been responsible for their growing numbers. Cost-cutting, redundancies and the reluctance to take on full-time employees are all features of the current economic climate.

When juggling a portfolio of jobs, it is essential to be aware of the tax and National Insurance position. Inevitably, it will result in your financial affairs being more complicated than those of a 9-to-5 employee. When you fundamentally change the way you earn your income, it is essential that your local tax office is advised. If you have more than one salaried position, you may find you are due a tax rebate.

Tax affairs become more complicated if the job portfolio includes both regular employment and income from self-employment. Employees have tax deducted direct from salary through PAYE. If you are self-employed (or have a freelance income as well as salary from a day job) you are personally accountable to the Inland Revenue for tax liabilities on those earnings, so you must keep accurate records of transactions. Documents such as invoices, receipts for expenses, bank statements and cheque stubs have to be retained to back up the records. To avoid confusing personal and business expenditure, it is advisable to have a separate bank account for income and expenses relating to self-employment.

At the end of their trading year, the self-employed have to submit their accounts to the Inland Revenue. If this income, or "business turnover", to use the Revenue's jargon, does not exceed pounds 15,000 in a full year, less detailed accounts are acceptable.

Business expenses may be offset against income received. This has the effect of reducing the tax payable. The cost of materials used for the work, postage, stationery and telephone calls are obvious expenses. If a car is used, a proportion of the running costs may well be allowable as a business expense against income. Capital items such as a fax machine, office furniture and equipment are also deductible. However, as these are of a capital nature, only a proportion of the cost is allowed each year.

It does make sense to consider employing an accountant. The annual expenditure (on average pounds 200-pounds 300) could well be recovered through a reduction in tax payable. Not only will an accountant advise on what are allowable business expenses, but he or she will also deal direct with the Inspector of Taxes on your behalf. This not only saves time, but possibly a great deal of stress for those unfamiliar with taxation matters.

There are several classes of National Insurance (NI) contributions. A person who is both employed and self-employed, could have to pay NI contributions in up to three classes.

Employees pay Class 1 contributions for each job where earnings are at least pounds 58 a week, or pounds 252 a month. Contributions are normally collected along with tax under PAYE, and the payments are earnings-related.

The self-employed are normally liable for Class 2 contributions if annual earnings are more than pounds 3,200. Additionally they may have to pay Class 4 contributions if their profits or gains are above a certain limit. Class 2 contributions are payable direct to the Contributions Agency, which is responsible for collecting and recording NI. Class 4 contributions are assessed and collected by the Revenue.

Employees who pay Class 1 contributions in more than one job, or people who are both employed and self-employed, should note that the maximum amount of contributions anyone is required to pay in the current tax year is pounds 2,086.08. The agency has a system for deferring NI payments, which is useful for those who are both employed and self-employed. Refunds are payable to employees with more than one job who have paid too much NI. Anyone who becomes self-employed must advise the Agency with form CF11, Notification of Self-Employment.

Independent Partners; Do you need financial advice on your investments, pension or insurance? Book a free consultation with an independent Financial Adviser at

Life and Style
Powdered colors are displayed for sale at a market ahead of the Holi festival in Bhopal, India
techHere's what you need to know about the riotous occasion
Arts and Entertainment
Larry David and Rosie Perez in ‘Fish in the Dark’
theatreReview: Had Fish in the Dark been penned by a civilian it would have barely got a reading, let alone £10m advance sales
Details of the self-cleaning coating were published last night in the journal Science
Approved Food sell products past their sell-by dates at discounted prices
Life-changing: Simone de Beauvoir in 1947, two years before she wrote 'The Second Sex', credited as the starting point of second wave feminism
peopleHer seminal feminist polemic, The Second Sex, has been published in short-form to mark International Women's Day
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Recruitment Genius: Evening Administrator

    £8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This Pension Specialist was established early...

    Guru Careers: Executive Assistant / PA

    £30 - 35k + Bonus & Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Executive Assist...

    Ashdown Group: Graduate Application Support Analyst

    £25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A global leader operating...

    Reach Volunteering: External Finance Trustee Needed!

    Voluntary post, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Would you ...

    Day In a Page

    Homeless Veterans campaign: Donations hit record-breaking £1m target after £300,000 gift from Lloyds Bank

    Homeless Veterans campaign

    Donations hit record-breaking £1m target after huge gift from Lloyds Bank
    Flight MH370 a year on: Lost without a trace – but the search goes on

    Lost without a trace

    But, a year on, the search continues for Flight MH370
    Germany's spymasters left red-faced after thieves break into brand new secret service HQ and steal taps

    Germany's spy HQ springs a leak

    Thieves break into new €1.5bn complex... to steal taps
    International Women's Day 2015: Celebrating the whirlwind wit of Simone de Beauvoir

    Whirlwind wit of Simone de Beauvoir

    Simone de Beauvoir's seminal feminist polemic, 'The Second Sex', has been published in short-form for International Women's Day
    Mark Zuckerberg’s hiring policy might suit him – but it wouldn’t work for me

    Mark Zuckerberg’s hiring policy might suit him – but it wouldn’t work for me

    Why would I want to employ someone I’d be happy to have as my boss, asks Simon Kelner
    Confessions of a planespotter: With three Britons under arrest in the UAE, the perils have never been more apparent

    Confessions of a planespotter

    With three Britons under arrest in the UAE, the perils have never been more apparent. Sam Masters explains the appeal
    Russia's gulag museum 'makes no mention' of Stalin's atrocities

    Russia's gulag museum

    Ministry of Culture-run site 'makes no mention' of Stalin's atrocities
    The big fresh food con: Alarming truth behind the chocolate muffin that won't decay

    The big fresh food con

    Joanna Blythman reveals the alarming truth behind the chocolate muffin that won't decay
    Virginia Ironside was my landlady: What is it like to live with an agony aunt on call 24/7?

    Virginia Ironside was my landlady

    Tim Willis reveals what it's like to live with an agony aunt on call 24/7
    Paris Fashion Week 2015: The wit and wisdom of Manish Arora's exercise in high camp

    Paris Fashion Week 2015

    The wit and wisdom of Manish Arora's exercise in high camp
    8 best workout DVDs

    8 best workout DVDs

    If your 'New Year new you' regime hasn’t lasted beyond February, why not try working out from home?
    Paul Scholes column: I don't believe Jonny Evans was spitting at Papiss Cissé. It was a reflex. But what the Newcastle striker did next was horrible

    Paul Scholes column

    I don't believe Evans was spitting at Cissé. It was a reflex. But what the Newcastle striker did next was horrible
    Miguel Layun interview: From the Azteca to Vicarage Road with a million followers

    From the Azteca to Vicarage Road with a million followers

    Miguel Layun is a star in Mexico where he was criticised for leaving to join Watford. But he says he sees the bigger picture
    Frank Warren column: Amir Khan ready to meet winner of Floyd Mayweather v Manny Pacquiao

    Khan ready to meet winner of Mayweather v Pacquiao

    The Bolton fighter is unlikely to take on Kell Brook with two superstar opponents on the horizon, says Frank Warren
    War with Isis: Iraq's government fights to win back Tikrit from militants - but then what?

    Baghdad fights to win back Tikrit from Isis – but then what?

    Patrick Cockburn reports from Kirkuk on a conflict which sectarianism has made intractable