Who'll care for your money if you can't care for yourself?

Kathleen Hennessy explains how to appoint a financial guardian should you need one to act for you

The prospect of mental incapacity through illness, accident or old age is depressing, but potentially just as worrying is having no say in who manages your financial affairs once you can no longer do so.

However, there is something you can do about it – provided you act while still mentally capable. An enduring power of attorney (EPA) is a legal document that lets you appoint someone, the attorney, to take control of your finances. He or she can then write cheques on your behalf, withdraw cash from accounts and even sell your property.

To protect the person making the arrangement, the donor, various provisos can be written into an EPA: you can appoint more than one attorney, for example, and insist they act jointly; you can choose a date when the power will come into effect; and you can specify which areas are controlled by the attorney. So you could allow him or her to use your cash but not to sell your home.

However, EPAs are being ditched on 1 October in favour of a new arrangement called lasting power of attorney (LPA).

"Some years ago the Law Commission felt the existing system was open to abuse," explains Mark Keenan, partner at solicitors Mishcon de Reya.

The problem is that responsibility for registering an EPA lies with the attorney, not the donor. On registration with the Court of Protection, attorneys can be required to file accounts of their dealings with the donor's finances. But an unscrupulous attorney could simply not bother to register the EPA, and begin raiding the donor's assets.

An LPA, by contrast, must be registered from the outset and must be certified by someone who can testify that the donor understands the arrangement. The certifier must also explain all this to the donor without anyone else, who might otherwise exert an influence, being present.

But there is a sting in the tail: LPAs will cost more. "An EPA is straightforward: there is one page of notes to explain the form you have to complete, and you only need details of the donor, the attorney and any restrictions," says Mr Keenan. "But an LPA is 24 pages long, with a 57-page guide. It follows that it will take longer to set up because it's more complex. And, as legal professionals are often paid by the hour, this means an LPA will be more costly."

Overall, it is estimated that drawing up an LPA could cost more than £350.

There are ways to minimise costs, however. Many home insurance policies provide cover for legal costs as standard, but insurer More Th>* also offers an add-on service for around £18 a year that deals with setting up an EPA/LPA.

"The system basically runs through the same questions a solicitor would ask about an EPA/LPA," says Simon Logan at More Th>*. "Once completed, the forms can be emailed to our panel of solicitors, who will email back with any queries or discrepancies."

A cheaper option still, where possible, is to set up an EPA before 1 October.

Independent Partners; request a free guide on NISAs from Hargreaves Lansdown

Club legend Paul Scholes is scared United could disappear into 'the wilderness'
A model of a Neanderthal man on display at the National Museum of Prehistory in Dordogne, France
Dawkins: 'There’s a very interesting reason why a prince could not turn into a frog – it's statistically too improbable'
newsThat's Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome
Arts and Entertainment
Eye of the beholder? 'Concrete lasagne' Preston bus station
architectureWhich monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
Dinosaurs Unleashed at the Eden Project
Arts and Entertainment
Life and Style
This month marks the 20th anniversary of the first online sale
techDespite a host of other online auction sites and fierce competition from Amazon, eBay is still the most popular e-commerce site in the UK
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Quantitative Analyst (Financial Services, Graduate, SQL, VBA)

    £45000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Quantitative Analyst (Financial Services, ...

    Application Support Engineer (C++, .NET, VB, Perl, Bash, SQL)

    Negotiable: Harrington Starr: Application Support Engineer (C++, .NET, VB, Per...

    AIFMD Business Analyst / Consultant - Investment Management

    £450 - £600 per day: Harrington Starr: AIFMD Business Analyst / Consultant - I...

    Business Analyst Solvency II SME (Pillar 1, 2 & 3) Insurance

    £450 - £600 per day: Harrington Starr: Business Analyst Solvency II SME (Pilla...

    Day In a Page

    Middle East crisis: We know all too much about the cruelty of Isis – but all too little about who they are

    We know all too much about the cruelty of Isis – but all too little about who they are

    Now Obama has seen the next US reporter to be threatened with beheading, will he blink, asks Robert Fisk
    Neanderthals lived alongside humans for centuries, latest study shows

    Final resting place of our Neanderthal neighbours revealed

    Bones dated to 40,000 years ago show species may have died out in Belgium species co-existed
    Scottish independence: The new Scots who hold fate of the UK in their hands

    The new Scots who hold fate of the UK in their hands

    Scotland’s immigrants are as passionate about the future of their adopted nation as anyone else
    Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?

    Blight club: Britain's ugliest buildings

    Following the architect Cameron Sinclair's introduction of the Dead Prize, an award for ugly buildings, John Rentoul reflects on some of the biggest blots on the UK landscape
    eBay's enduring appeal: Online auction site is still the UK's most popular e-commerce retailer

    eBay's enduring appeal

    The online auction site is still the UK's most popular e-commerce site
    Culture Minister Ed Vaizey: ‘lack of ethnic minority and black faces on TV is weird’

    'Lack of ethnic minority and black faces on TV is weird'

    Culture Minister Ed Vaizey calls for immediate action to address the problem
    Artist Olafur Eliasson's latest large-scale works are inspired by the paintings of JMW Turner

    Magic circles: Artist Olafur Eliasson

    Eliasson's works will go alongside a new exhibition of JMW Turner at Tate Britain. He tells Jay Merrick why the paintings of his hero are ripe for reinvention
    Josephine Dickinson: 'A cochlear implant helped me to discover a new world of sound'

    Josephine Dickinson: 'How I discovered a new world of sound'

    After going deaf as a child, musician and poet Josephine Dickinson made do with a hearing aid for five decades. Then she had a cochlear implant - and everything changed
    Greggs Google fail: Was the bakery's response to its logo mishap a stroke of marketing genius?

    Greggs gives lesson in crisis management

    After a mishap with their logo, high street staple Greggs went viral this week. But, as Simon Usborne discovers, their social media response was anything but half baked
    Matthew McConaughey has been singing the praises of bumbags (shame he doesn't know how to wear one)

    Matthew McConaughey sings the praises of bumbags

    Shame he doesn't know how to wear one. Harriet Walker explains the dos and don'ts of fanny packs
    7 best quadcopters and drones

    Flying fun: 7 best quadcopters and drones

    From state of the art devices with stabilised cameras to mini gadgets that can soar around the home, we take some flying objects for a spin
    Joey Barton: ‘I’ve been guilty of getting a bit irate’

    Joey Barton: ‘I’ve been guilty of getting a bit irate’

    The midfielder returned to the Premier League after two years last weekend. The controversial character had much to discuss after his first game back
    Andy Murray: I quit while I’m ahead too often

    Andy Murray: I quit while I’m ahead too often

    British No 1 knows his consistency as well as his fitness needs working on as he prepares for the US Open after a ‘very, very up and down’ year
    Ferguson: In the heartlands of America, a descent into madness

    A descent into madness in America's heartlands

    David Usborne arrived in Ferguson, Missouri to be greeted by a scene more redolent of Gaza and Afghanistan
    BBC’s filming of raid at Sir Cliff’s home ‘may be result of corruption’

    BBC faces corruption allegation over its Sir Cliff police raid coverage

    Reporter’s relationship with police under scrutiny as DG is summoned by MPs to explain extensive live broadcast of swoop on singer’s home