TAX TIPS: You can't put off that DIY work any longer

The first of a series of occasional articles from tax specialists

Nostalgia and tax returns do not, at first sight, sit easily together. But being in the tax business I can reflect on the past and how it used to be in the "good old days". The ability to write on your tax return "to be advised", "see vouchers attached", "estimated", "see employer's return" was calculated to buy you a little more time and if you were very lucky those nice people in the Inland Revenue would do the work for you.

Unfortunately those days are past, self-assessment - the "simpler" tax system (who are they kidding) - is now with us. If you are one of those people who have completed their return and are now feeling rather smug then the rest of the article is not for you. Lesser mortals are just reaching one of the decision points of the tax year. Do you set aside that evening or Sunday morning to complete the return and get it to the Inland Revenue by 30 September? Or, do you leave it for the real deadline of 31 January next year?

For one group of people it is a very good idea to get tax returns in before 30 September. If you are employed and you find that you owe the taxman less than pounds 1,000 you may not have to pay this amount on the deadline next January if you file by 30 September. The taxman will probably adjust your tax code for next year and you will pay in monthly instalments over 12 months from April, a nice interest-free loan. The other reason for getting your tax return in now is that if you do, the taxman will calculate your tax bill for you. But the calculation is a bit of a doddle compared with working out what information the taxman needs, and he is not volunteering to do that part for you.

What if you don't do the calculation and send in the return after 30 September? The taxman will still do it for you, but he or she will not guarantee to do it in time to send you your bill in time for you to pay before the due date of 31 January. Moreover, if you don't pay enough off, you could end up with an interest charge.

Let us suppose that you have decided to get it in by 30 September. What should you do now?

Amass all those bits of financial paper - bank and building society statements, dividend vouchers, pension records. If you are employed, forms P60 and perhaps form P11D from your employer (or form P45 if you have changed jobs this year). If you are self-employed, records of business earnings and expenses.

Fill in page two of the form to check you have been sent all the right pages. If not, ring the taxman on 0645 000 404 (seven days a week 8am until 10pm).

Read the guidance notes (yes, there are a lot of them) and fill in the form in pencil.

If you are not sure, ring up your own tax office, or for a general inquiry you can use the self-assessment helpline on 0645 000 444, but be prepared to wait a bit as they are often engaged.

Finally, check the form, ink it in and remember to sign it.

Now send it off in time to get to the taxman by 30 September because if he does not get it by then, you know the consequences.

Looking at it another way, if you go to the trouble of putting it all together and then don't post it early enough you might as well have left it until Christmas. Now there is a thought.

John Andrews is president of the Chartered Institute of Taxation and a partner in Coopers & Lybrand. The Chartered Institute of taxation will give a free list of tax specialists in your area. Tel: 0171-235 9381.

Suggested Topics
A 1930 image of the Karl Albrecht Spiritousen and Lebensmittel shop, Essen. The shop was opened by Karl and Theo Albrecht’s mother; the brothers later founded Aldi
exclusivePunk icon Viv Albertine on Sid Vicious, complacent white men, and why free love led to rape
Arts and Entertainment
booksThe best children's books for this summer
Colombia's James Rodriguez celebrates one of his goals during the FIFA World Cup 2014 round of 16 match between Colombia and Uruguay at the Estadio do Maracana in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
sportColombian World Cup star completes £63m move to Spain
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Antoine Griezmann has started two of France’s four games so far
Life and Style
techYahoo Japan launches service to delete your files and email your relatives when you die
Life and Style
Child's play: letting young people roam outdoors directly contradicts the current climate
lifeHow much independence should children have?
Arts and Entertainment
Tycoons' text: Warren Buffett and Bill Gates both cite John Brookes' 'Business Adventures' as their favourite book
booksFind out why America's richest men are reading John Brookes
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
All the signs have been pointing up for buy-to-let, but there are clouds on the horizon

Buy-to-let: is it a boom or a bubble fit to burst?

People borrowing to be landlords could face the same restrictions as homebuyers, with MPs voicing fears that property speculation may be overheating the market

Moment of truth for payday lenders: Watchdog plans to curb cost of short-term loans

The chief of the City watchdog, Martin Wheatley, spoke exclusively to The Independent's Simon Read about its attempts to control the worst excesses of unscrupulous high-cost credit companies

Consumers given power to choose a green deal

How would you like to be able to choose how your electricity is made and even where it come from? It may sound futuristic and fanciful but the independent supplier Co-operative Energy has made it a reality this week.

'Scrap the trap': calls for change grow as banks are told to play fair with loyal savers

City regulator says existing customers suffer worst rates

Motor insurers divided on proposals for whiplash ban

MPs want medical evidence for claims. Will this bring higher premiums?

British Gas repays £1m for mis-sold deals

British Gas was yesterday forced to pay back £1m to its customers after mis-selling them energy deals.

Bare necessities of life cost a pensioner £10,000

Pensioners now have to spend £10,387 a year on basic necessities such as food and fuel. new figures published today reveal.

Six months since its introduction, Obamacare has set market's pulse racing

As America's health reforms take effect, some firms look well placed to benefit, says Simon Read

Holidaymakers warned over hidden charges when opting to pay in sterling abroad

Fresh warnings emerged this week that overseas retailers and hotels aren't playing fair.

Employees will be able to request flexible hours in drive to make workplaces family friendly

From next week employees will be able to request changes to working hours. Rob Griffin weighs up the options

E2Energy's wind-turbine scheme offers green investors 7.5 per cent a year

If you're fed up with paltry returns on your savings and are interested in green energy, a new loan-based crowdfund launched this week could be a better home for your cash.

Why miss the chance of tax-free returns as Isas raise their game?

The tax-free limit of £15,000 is a big jump and rates for savers are starting to edge up, writes Simon Read
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Programme Director - Conduct Risk - London

    £850 - £950 per day: Orgtel: Programme Director - Conduct Risk - Banking - £85...

    Business Analyst (Agile, SDLC, software)

    £45000 - £50000 Per Annum + excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Lt...

    Finance Manager - Bank - Leeds - £300/day

    £250 - £300 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Finance Manager - Accountant - Bank...

    Compliance Officer - CF10, CF11, Compliance Oversight, AML, FX

    £100000 - £120000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A leading fi...

    Day In a Page

    Some are reformed drug addicts. Some are single mums. All are on benefits. But now these so-called 'scroungers’ are fighting back

    The 'scroungers’ fight back

    The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
    Amazing video shows Nasa 'flame extinguishment experiment' in action

    Fireballs in space

    Amazing video shows Nasa's 'flame extinguishment experiment' in action
    A Bible for billionaires

    A Bible for billionaires

    Find out why America's richest men are reading John Brookes
    Paranoid parenting is on the rise - and our children are suffering because of it

    Paranoid parenting is on the rise

    And our children are suffering because of it
    For sale: Island where the Magna Carta was sealed

    Magna Carta Island goes on sale

    Yours for a cool £4m
    Phone hacking scandal special report: The slide into crime at the 'News of the World'

    The hacker's tale: the slide into crime at the 'News of the World'

    Glenn Mulcaire was jailed for six months for intercepting phone messages. James Hanning tells his story in a new book. This is an extract
    We flinch, but there are degrees of paedophilia

    We flinch, but there are degrees of paedophilia

    Child abusers are not all the same, yet the idea of treating them differently in relation to the severity of their crimes has somehow become controversial
    The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering

    The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering

    For instance, did Isis kill the Israeli teenagers to trigger a war, asks Patrick Cockburn
    Alistair Carmichael: 'The UK as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts'

    Alistair Carmichael: 'The UK as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts'

    Meet the man who doesn't want to go down in history as the country's last Scottish Secretary
    Legoland Windsor's master model-makers reveal the tricks of their trade (including how to stop the kids wrecking your Eiffel Tower)

    Meet the people who play with Lego for a living

    They are the master builders: Lego's crack team of model-makers, who have just glued down the last of 650,000 bricks as they recreate Paris in Windsor. Susie Mesure goes behind the scenes
    The 20 best days out for the summer holidays: From Spitfires to summer ferry sailings

    20 best days out for the summer holidays

    From summer ferry sailings in Tyne and Wear and adventure days at Bear Grylls Survival Academy to Spitfires at the Imperial War Museum Duxford and bog-snorkelling at the World Alternative Games...
    Open-air theatres: If all the world is a stage, then everyone gets in on the act

    All the wood’s a stage

    Open-air productions are the cue for better box-office receipts, new audiences, more interesting artistic challenges – and a picnic
    Rand Paul is a Republican with an eye on the world

    Rupert Cornwell: A Republican with an eye on the world

    Rand Paul is laying out his presidential stall by taking on his party's disastrous record on foreign policy
    Self-preservation society: Pickles are moving from the side of your plate to become the star dish

    Self-preservation society

    Pickles are moving from the side of your plate to become the star dish
    Generation gap opens a career sinkhole

    Britons live ever longer, but still society persists in glorifying youth

    We are living longer but considered 'past it' younger, the reshuffle suggests. There may be trouble ahead, says DJ Taylor