90-year-old motorist's jail term suspended
Friday 24 September 1999
Stanley Casson became Britain's oldest prisoner when he was sentenced at Manchester Crown Court last month after he admitted causing the death of Bridget Wood, 78, and her granddaughter Hollie-Rose Williams by dangerous driving.
But within hours Casson was released on bail, pending appeal. Lord Justice Kennedy said yesterday: "Nothing that any court can do can assuage the grief of those whose relatives were killed. But the public interest in this extremely unusual case will not be served by this man having actually to serve the sentence passed upon him."
Casson had maintained an unblemished record since he began driving aged 17. He was described as a "model citizen" who was full of remorse and now in such poor health that a prison sentence could kill him.
He told police he could not explain why he failed to see the pedestrians, although he said he did not like driving at night.
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...