Alarm at death rate of young homeless
Friday 28 August 1998
While it was unsurprising that death rates were higher among the homeless the extent of the difference was "startling", and a cause for "grave concern", researchers from the University of Bristol said.
Dr Mary Shaw and Danny Dorling used data from the homeless charity Crisis to calculate mortality rates for rough sleepers in London. It is the first time this has been done with United Kingdom figures.
The data showed that young men aged 16 to 29 had a death risk 40 times the national average. For men aged 16 to 64 years, the risk was estimated to be 25 times greater. An earlier study of street youth in Montreal showed they had almost 12 times more chance of dying than the average Canadian.
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...