'Alcopop' blamed for school fire

Click to follow
The Independent Online
'Alcopop' blamed for school fire

Alcopop makers were condemned as "grossly irresponsible" by a judge yesterday after he heard how a 14-year-old drunken boy burnt down a school.

Bolton Crown Court was told that the schoolboy caused damage valued at pounds 750,000. It happened after he became drunk on Hooch - alcoholic lemonade - and cider.

Judge Peter Lakin said: "This case graphically illustrates what can happen to boys consuming alcopop. If this boy had not had alcohol that night this offence would never have occurred." The boy was given a two-year supervision order.