An up and down over the Union Flag
In the past the flagpole has been left bare when the Queen was not in residence. This caused a constitutional crisis when the Princess of Wales was killed while the Queen was at Balmoral. The public and sections of the press appeared incensed that there was no flag at half-mast. "Show us you care Ma'am", ran a typical headline.
Palace sources said yesterday's move shows how responsive the new, reforming Royals are to public opinion. The decision was taken at a meeting of the advisory Way Ahead Group.
Some constitutional experts detected a deeper, almost Blairite " vision thing" in the flag gesture. The historian David Starkey said: "It means that Buckingham Palace is accepted as a People's Palace". Others said it showed the Royal Family's empathy with the "new Britain".
The Union flag has always flown at full-mast and around the clock at Windsor Castle and the Tower of London even when the Queen is away. The Royal Standard is never lowered to half-mast as the Sovereign, according to protocol, never dies, the next in line immediately assuming that role.
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations
£60000 - £75000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Business Analyst Consultant (Fina...
£60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A leading provider in investment managemen...
£600 - £700 per day: Harrington Starr: AVS, JVS Openlink Endur Developer JVS, ...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Exciting opp...