Apology for poor care by surgeon
Tuesday 17 August 1999
An independent review of the work of Julian Upton, 62, who was employed at the Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton for 38 years, concluded that his management of patients was "not adequate".
The review, published yesterday, was ordered by the Taunton and Somerset NHS Trust after colleagues raised concerns about Mr Upton's work last October. Mr Upton retired on medical advice in March.
Of 1,200 patients whose cases have so far been examined, 45 were identified as requiring further surgical treatment and a further 22 needed further investigation.Some of the affected patients are seeking compensation.
Edward McNally, chief executive of the trust, said yesterday: "The trust regrets that some patients have received treatment which was not adequate for their condition, and the trust apologises to those patients for any anxiety or distress caused by that treatment."
The review would take six months to complete, Mr McNally said, by which time 2,000 case records would have been examined.
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show
£13676.46 - £16411.61 per annum + OTE: SThree: SThree Trainee Recruitment Cons...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Business and Marketing Gr...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Are you great at building rela...
£20000 - £22000 per annum + excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Application Sup...