Battle royal rages in Wales' mini-kingdom
Bryn Terfel said he would return from overseas engagements for his coronation later this month. But yesterday a furniture salesman from Stourbridge, West Midlands, said he was the only heir of King Love Pritchard. Ken Pritchard, 56, said he and his four sisters were great-grandchildren. "My grandfather was an only son, as was my father and so am I ... we had ... to let people know the family had not died out."
Mr Pritchard said he had no desire to be crowned but did not want the title to leave the family. "The crown is in Liverpool Maritime Museum and we have been assured it will not be leaving there. I am not worried about Bryn Terfel being given some other title with a crown from another source but I do object to the implication that the family has died out." Though the Welsh royal lineage ended in the 15th century, Bardsey hung on to its royal family until 1927, when King Love died. The title died with him.
Simon Glyn, director of the island trust, said: "People are coming out of the woodwork all over the place saying `I'm related to the king'." But he would be discussing Mr Pritchard's claims with him.
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...