Tuesday 19 March 1996
The amount of benefit paid to people in work has more than doubled over the past five years, figures publicised by a Labour MP show. The increase - from just over pounds 1bn a year in 1990 to more than pounds 2.3bn last year - is the result of employers taking advantage of the welfare system to hire employees at rock bottom wages, Denis MacShane, the MP for Rotherham, said.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
Deadly ice storm pushes up US east coast as temperatures drop to -29C
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education Resou...
£35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Winfo...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Senior C...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Senior A...