Birds of prey illegally killed
Tuesday 15 July 1997
Poisoning incidents have risen slightly, and the society concluded that a Government-led campaign against using poisoned bait had failed. One victim was white-tailed eagle, of which less than 12 pairs exist in Britain.
In 1996 there were 96 confirmed incidents of all kinds of fatal persecution, compared with 108 the year before, and 97 in 1994. Poisoning and shooting accounted for the great majority of the deaths and the incidents were distributed across Britain.
Alphachloralose, a rodenticide, was the most often used poison, with carcasses, usually rabbit, put out as bait. Most of the victims were buzzards, one of the most common raptors.
Some gamekeepers target birds of prey because they see them as a threat to game birds, while others are killed accidentally by farmers and landowners trying to kill pests such as crows and foxes. However, the RSPB says these detected killings are only a small proportion of the total.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for the murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Ryanair calls on CAA to act over air traffic chaos caused by telephone system glitch
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# ASP.NET Developer (...
£60000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior C# WPF .NET Dev...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: QA Manual Tester FX Trading Platform/Derivative...