Blair appoints new strategist
Although Mr Murphy, 40, takes over a post once held by Peter Mandelson, he has told friends he does not want to become Labour's new "king of spin", but to be more involved in long-term planning.
His pounds 40,000-a-year job as assistant general secretary (communications) will give him a key role in developing Labour's strategy for the next general election. He has abandoned the idea of becoming a parliamentary candidate to focus on the task.
His first big test after leaving his current post, as executive director of communications at the Arts Council, will be to run Labour's campaign in a busy election period this spring. There are elections to local authorities, the Scottish and Welsh assemblies in May, and to the European Parliament in June.
Mr Murphy said: "I regard it as a privilege. I see it as a critical job, not just for the round of elections coming up but for the longer term planning for the general election."
Mr Murphy was a Westminster journalist for 12 years, working as political editor of the Press Association and before that the Yorkshire Post. He replaces David Hill, who left Labour HQ last year to join the lobbying firm Bell Pottinger.
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts police caution for assault after trying to dismiss Nigella Lawson row as 'playful tiff'
Google, BT and Yahoo! agree plan to tackle child porn
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal
Charles Saatchi: Taking caution for holding Nigella Lawson's throat was 'better than it hanging over all of us'
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...