Blair attacks MCC
Sunday 01 March 1998
In an unusual move, Downing Street yesterday made public Mr Blair's stinging observations, which came in letters to members of the public who wrote to complain to him about the issue.
The Prime Minister replied that, while he was not a member of the MCC, "had I been, I would have voted to admit women and can see no good reason why that decision was not taken".
He added: "It seems to me that, in this day and age, such a decision does not reflect well on the MCC or anybody else."
Usually, when contacted on such an issue, the Prime Minister's office points out that Downing Street has no role in the matter. But the Government was surprised by the decision, and sports minister Tony Banks has already expressed his anger.
Equality blues, page 21
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...