Blair's Islington about to fall to Lib Dems
After weeks of deliberations, Islington has received legal advice that concludes that Labour councillor Sheila Camp is not eligible to hold office, The Independent has learned. Presiley Baxendale, the QC who grilled Baroness Thatcher during the Scott Inquiry into the arms-to-Iraq affair, has recommended that Ms Camp be disqualified under the 1972 Local Government Act. Labour and the Liberal Democratshave 26 councillors each, with Labour retaining power on the mayor's casting vote.
Anonymity order lifted for brutal child killer David McGreavy jailed in 1973
World news in pictures
Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
Plenty of Fish dating site founder pulls 'Intimate Encounters' option to ward off sleazy men
Video emerges of Pope Francis reportedly performing an exorcism in St Peter’s Square
- 1 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 2 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 3 China agrees to impose carbon targets by 2016
- 4 Exclusive: Championship clubs set to push for safe-standing trials
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.