Blood clot risk from HRT
Friday 14 March 1997
Spanish researchers studied medical records of nearly 350,000 UK women aged 50-79. The type of treatment - high or low dose, pills or patches - did not appear to make any difference to the results.
The findings by doctors from Novartis Pharmaceuticals, Barcelona, and Universidad Complutense, Madrid, were published today in the British Medical Journal.
In a separate study, researchers in Finland found that people donating blood may well be doing themselves a service, as well as helping the NHS. Analysis of 2,700 middle-aged men showed that giving blood could reduce the risk of heart attack by as much as 86 per cent. The mechanism could be the result of depletion of the body's iron reserves, say the researchers from the University of Kuopio, also writing in the British Medical Journal.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...