Bond business makes a killing out of Brosnan
The film's makers, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, said yesterday that sales had been "better than expected". The studio said American box office receipts total $62.2m (pounds 38m) to date, up 9 per cent on 1995's GoldenEye, the previous film based on the fictional superspy codenamed 007.
Box-office receipts across the rest of the world, including Britain, are at $77.8m, 19 per cent higher than GoldenEye in the same period.
GoldenEye had been the most successful film in the Bond franchise with total world-wide ticket sales of about $350m, $106m domestically and $244m overseas.
In America, Brosnan's Bond has done well in a Christmas film season that has been described as the most competitive ever.
It was up against the $200m blockbuster Titanic, Quentin Tarantino's new offering Jackie Brown and Stephen Spielberg's Amistad. In total, Americans spent a record $140m at the cinema in the three days after Christmas.
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...