Boxing fans to sue over `fiasco'

Click to follow
The Independent Online
BRITISH BOXING fans are to take legal action over the world heavyweight unification fight between Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis in New York City on March 13, it was announced yesterday.

The London law firm Class Law said it had been instructed to bring a claim on behalf of two groups of spectators who either went to see the bout or viewed it on satellite television. The 8,000 people who travelled from the UK spent a total of pounds 20m on travel, accommodation and tickets for the fight, said a spokesman for the law firm, Stephen Alexander.

The fight was declared a draw, despite widespread belief that Lewis, a Briton, had beaten his American rival.

Mr Alexander said the claims were being brought against the promoters, the holiday companies and the New York Boxing Board of Control. "They want a return of the money spent on the trip on the basis that what they saw was not a fair and proper fight," he said. "The law suits may be brought in both the UK and the New York courts."

Holyfield yesterday signed up for a rematch with Lewis in September. The contest will earn the boxers $20m (pounds 12.5m).

`When you have a dispute you have a rematch'

Sport, page 8

Comments