Branagh film wins award in Venice
Monday 11 September 1995
Called In The Bleak Midwinter, it gained the Osello D'Oro award at the Venice Film Festival on Saturday night. The film stars Joan Collins, Richard Briers and Jennifer Saunders.
Branagh's latest work is a mild satire on thespian "luvvies" which tells the tale of an out-of-work actor who mounts a production of Hamlet with the help of a small group of oddballs.
Branagh's friends said that he was deeply depressed by the adverse critical reaction to Frankenstein last year, and would be delighted that he is once again being acclaimed for his directorial work.
In The Bleak Midwinter goes on release in the UK on 1 December.
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a white stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Russian warships in English Channel 'to conduct anti-aircraft and anti-submarine military drills'
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Front-End UI Application ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Domestic Service Only Engineers are requ...
£23600 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Employability Service withi...