$1.8bn claim against accountants rejected
Friday 31 January 1997
BCCI collapsed in 1991 after regulators uncovered evidence of fraud and money-laundering. Its total debts ran to more than $12bn and it was only last month that creditors to BCCI started to receive some of the money they were owed.
After yesterday's judgment, Ernst & Whinney still faces a claim for $1.7bn in respect of its 1985 and 1986 audits of BCCI Holdings SA and BCCI SA.The liquidators' original claim was for $10bn but in June 1995 the claim was reduced to $3.5bn.
"The BCCI liquidators have now had struck out, or been forced to withdraw, 85 per cent of the claims originally brought against Ernst & Whinney," said Nick Land, senior partner at Ernst & Young. "We look forward to dealing with the remaining 15 per cent in a similar fashion."
Deloitte & Touche, the liquidators to BCCI, said they were considering whether they should appeal.
Oscar Pistorius trial: Paralympian sick again after photographs of Reeva Steenkamp's body are shown in court
Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
Malaysia flight MH370: Pitbull song lyrics bear uncanny resemblance to missing plane mystery, according to YouTubers
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Focus shifts west as Indian Ocean becomes latest search area for the aircraft and its passengers
Jeremy Paxman reopens war of words with Michael Gove over the WW1 centenary: 'A charlatan' who scores 'cheap political points'
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
How climate change helped Genghis Khan: Scientists believe a sudden period of warmer weather allowed the Mongols to invade with such success
- 1 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 2 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 3 Tim Berners-Lee on creating the web: 'I never expected all these cats'
- 4 Malaysia flight MH370: Pitbull song lyrics bear uncanny resemblance to missing plane mystery, according to YouTubers
- 5 First Kiss viral video was just a clothing advert starring actors
iJobs Money & Business
£35000 - £43000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global lea...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Linux Systems Administrator - UNI...
£32000 - £36000 per annum + generous benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: * TAX * ...
£37000 - £40000 per annum + £20000 benefits package: Pro-Recruitment Group: **...