$1.8bn claim against accountants rejected
Friday 31 January 1997
BCCI collapsed in 1991 after regulators uncovered evidence of fraud and money-laundering. Its total debts ran to more than $12bn and it was only last month that creditors to BCCI started to receive some of the money they were owed.
After yesterday's judgment, Ernst & Whinney still faces a claim for $1.7bn in respect of its 1985 and 1986 audits of BCCI Holdings SA and BCCI SA.The liquidators' original claim was for $10bn but in June 1995 the claim was reduced to $3.5bn.
"The BCCI liquidators have now had struck out, or been forced to withdraw, 85 per cent of the claims originally brought against Ernst & Whinney," said Nick Land, senior partner at Ernst & Young. "We look forward to dealing with the remaining 15 per cent in a similar fashion."
Deloitte & Touche, the liquidators to BCCI, said they were considering whether they should appeal.
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £95000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
competitive: SThree: Are you passionate about sales?Do you have a keen interes...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers a range of ...