Aegon may buy GRE life business
Tuesday 10 August 1999
AXA, which hopes to be in a position to confirm the sale when its UK arm, Sun Life & Provincial Holdings, announces half-year results on Thursday, is believed to be seeking about pounds 700m for the business.
However, sources close to the talks stressed yesterday that discussions were still going on and there was no guarantee there would be a deal. The argument appears to centre on price, with Aegon pushing for something closer to pounds 600m.
Aegon owns Scottish Equitable, the Scottish life and pensions business, and wishes to expand its UK life operations. The group recently completed the $9.7bn takeover of US group Transamerica, and has looked at a counterbid for Scottish Widows, which in June agreed to be taken over by Lloyds TSB.
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Leaked documents show Ukip leaders approve NHS privatisation once it becomes more 'acceptable to the electorate'
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £32000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, int...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding business...
£25 - 28k + Bonus: Guru Careers: An In-house / Internal Recruiter is needed to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Tax Assistant is required to join a leading ...