A&L in merger talks
Sunday 23 May 1999
The marriage of Ireland's second largest bank and the demutualised building society would create the UK's fifth largest mortgage-lender, with a market capitalisation of more than pounds 11bn. If the talks - which are expected to be formally confirmed tomorrow - are successful, it will increase the pressure on other UK lending institutions to form partnerships.
The merger would also be the first sizeable banking deal in the European Union between a bank from the euro zone (Ireland) and a non-member (UK) of the single currency. Bank of Ireland bought Bristol & West, also a former building society, in 1997 for pounds 600m.
Its desire to expand further into the UK has been thwarted, however, by the reluctance of many building societies to float.
Analysts say a counter bid for Alliance & Leicester is unlikely. Under building society legislation, demutualised building societies are protected from a hostile merger for five years from their flotation, a period which in Alliance & Leicester's case would run until 2002.
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Ryanair calls on CAA to act over air traffic chaos caused by telephone system glitch
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...